Bad Pro Winds :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nick Park, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Nick Park

Nick Park New Friend

Nov 10, 2007
    I ordered Schilke S22C HD trumpet at Pro winds on 8 January, 2011, for the concert of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition on 22 January.

At that time in the prowinds homepage, Schilke was in stock, but after 3 days they emailed me the product was out of stock. They told me I should wait till mid-February to ship the new one. So, I had no choice but to wait.
    However there was no contact until march--and of course, I either didn't received the trumpet.

I was keeping trying to contact pro winds, but whenever I called them, they told me they will ship it in 2 weeks.

So far, almost 9 months has passed, Pro winds did not send me the trumpet.
    Whenever I contacted pro winds, people always told me that Schilke didn't sent them my horn.
    So, I contacted Schilke sales manager. And what a surprise, I acknowledged the fact that pro winds didn't order my horn to Schilke and Schilke factory does not have a plan to provide the horn to pro winds for a while.
    the factory recommends me to cancel the order, and if I want schilke trumpet they will introduce me another dealer.
    So I cancelled the order and Also there was no reply. I called pro winds. They told me it needs 1 week to the refund. Now I have waited 1 weeks but there is nothing changed. I asked Pro winds the status of refund. they told me they will immediately reply through email. But there was nothing in my inbox.

What should I do?

2. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    In this country we have the Australian Consumer and Competition Commission (ACCC) and in the past I've had reason to refer vendors to them. When I tell the vendor what I have done I have usually had my complaint/issue resolved faster than you can blink. Is there such a body in the USA? If you know a solicitor (lawyer) or have access to one of those free advice sessions legals firms sometimes provide you could get help with writing a letter to the horn seller -- that might be enough to make them pay attention. I take it you have been calling them rather than writing? At this stage (and even before now) I would be putting everything in writing just in case you have to take the matter further. Remember to get the names and positions of the people you speak to. Don't lose your cool.

--bumblebee

3. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    If you used a credit card--and I hope you did; contact your card company. Explain what has happened to the representative, it is likely your account will immediately be credited. If you didn't use a credit card you are rather at their mercy. However, require they give you times and dates for promised performance. Keep a log including who you talked to, their title and what they said. Don't pester them until they have not performed as they asked then call that person--if they can't explain why the company did not perform as for their supervisor to explain it to you--just keep going up the ladder; but stay after them. Good Luck.

4. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Sounds like a shady operation. I had a similar situation with a local reputable company. (Not a music store) I purchased a piece of fitness equipment at a store that I had done a lot of business with. The item I wanted was not in stock but I was asked to pay in advance, I had never had a problem with this store so I paid in good faith. Weeks passed and all I got from my phone calls was that your item will be here shortly.

After awhile I got suspicious and called the manufacturer and spoke with customer services. They told me that they were no longer doing business with this store as the store owed them several thousand dollars. The rep called the store for me and the manager who was the individual that insisted on payment up front called me at work. I called him every name in the book and insisted on my money back. (I did)

The customer service guy told me that the store was under new ownership. I also noticed that the last time I was in the store I didn't recognize one single employee from my previous business.
    That particular store is out of business now, no big surprise. The previous owner had a solid reputation for taking good care of his customers and had owned this establishment for over 30 years. The moron who bought the business ran it into the ground in less than three years.

Unfortunately there are crooks and schisters in every area of retail. Do your homework and don't be afraid to take action. Hope you get your money back.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear this.

It sounds like you had to pay for the horn up-front, even though it wasn't in stock. Am I missing something, or does that seems a bit irregular? They shouldn't have charged your (except for maybe a deposit) until they shipped the horn.

Hopefully, it will get resolved. But if it doesn't, I'd contact the attorney general's office in their state. As others suggested, contacting your credit card company and keep a log of everything (along with all documentation) are good ideas, too.

Mike

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I've used pro-winds before, and they weren't a shady operation.
    No idea what's going on, but I am confused by their actions

7. Equiner

Equiner New Friend

Jul 15, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    I bought a piccolo trumpet from Pro Winds. Like you it was promised to be delivered to me in a couple of weeks. Fortunately for me it was eventually delivered but it took two months. Not the best service
    but I did eventually get the horn. I too to contacted them on several occasions and was given several excuses as to why it was delayed.

Good luck.,
    K

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If no credit card, I suggest not waiting. Get a lawyer. Have HIM get in contact. The longer you wait the worse your chances. In Germany, the consumer has to set a deadline to get the ball rolling. If you keep believing the liars, you have no case.

9. Nick Park

Nick Park New Friend

Nov 10, 2007
    Thank you everyone.

I paid through paypal.

After I paid and didn't get the horn, I was able to find out that there have been many cases similar to me because of Pro winds. the company is really dissapointing me.
    Since I'm living in South Korea, not the US, it is not easy to get a Lawyer.

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I had a similar situation and believe it or not Pay Pal may be able to help. Contact Pay Pal and explain what has happened, if they determine some sort of fraud has taken place and Pro Winds still has an account Pay Pal will refund your money. They do this in cases of fraud even though it exceeds their normal time limit for disputing payments--at least they used to.