Bad Pro Winds :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nick Park, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Prowinds sells how many brass instruments a year and there are how many complaints? I purchased 3 horns since Nov. 2009 and haven't had any problems with them.

2. jazz3

jazz3 New Friend

Oct 8, 2011
    It's your money. If you can afford to lose it, then go for it!

3. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't pay cash so I won't lose anything and I'm 3 for 3 in the positive. Sorry to hear you have had a problem. I've had problems with Amazon.com, so I don't use them anymore. That's all you can do.

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    What's likely to be happening is this:

-dealer needs to present access to a large variety of brands so they advertise x,y and z in stock (actually only x and y are in stock)
    -dealer gets order for z at sale price
    -dealer tries to find a 'z' horn for a price at which they can make a profit
    -dealer can't find a horn easily so they stall the buyer as long as possible

This amounts to fraud. There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE for a dealer to have an online store that advertises an item as 'in stock' when it's not. Inventories are computerized (or should be)....

bigtiny

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I have been doing business with ProWinds for quite a few years and have never had a bad experience. I will tell you they hire mostly college kids and there could be your problem. Kids have a bad problem of not following through and not leaving the correct messages. I do know they closed the Indy store due to problems with the help [not doing what was expected of them]. I usually go to the store and deal with them in person and they are very helpful but I have been there when the phone just rings and rings and two or more employees are talking to each other and ignoring the phone. I have a friend who managed a large store for years and gave it up because of the quality of help he had to deal with.

6. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Hello everyone. I am so sorry to hear of your plight with your Schilke HD trumpet. I hope you get your money back!!! For me, Prowinds have been wonderful to me. I ordered a Scherzer Rotary Piccolo trumpet and it took about 6 weeks to have it delivered to my place in Vancouver BC, Canada. I use Paypal for security reasons.
    Anyways, be very careful out there.

Piccolomaster

7. Blue

Blue New Friend

Aug 20, 2011
    I ordered a Flugelhorn from ProWinds, they sent nothing. I called and they were very nice ( I wont say his name ...he was VERY new and he was extremely nice sounded like a college kid) he went to get an answer from his boss said two more weeks, Noththing! Called again (same new guy... still very sincere and seemingly frustrated, he told me he was getting other complaints like mine) said that horn is now on back order but they said they had another brand (at a higher price) but it was at a HUGE discount over the normal price for my troubles. I researched it and it WAS much cheaper than any of the prices I could find on the net. I called them back and agreed and paid them. 1 week later nothing so I called. (Same new guy) was as good as he could be. He seemed very frustraited and went to get more clarification from his boss They said there was a misunderstanding and that horn was on order but would be here fast. I said Friday or I need a refund. Friday came and I got a call that they were here and they would be sebding it after they did their check on the horn etc. One week later I got the horn but there was no visible sign of anyone touching this thing other than slapping on a label and sending it on. In all I got a very good price on a good horn but the company, not the salesman seemed at fault. They didn't bait and switch me as I asked if there was something I could get quicker for a good deal. What they did do though is charge me when they took the order not when they shipped and there is a lot of mis direction when asking for help. I dont think I would do business there again if an order is involved. I doubt my sales guy will be there very long either as he was pretty upset with calling me back with excuses.

8. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    To me charging money and failure to deliver as promised is fraud. Even if they ship it a month later it is still fraud. Think of the interest that a company can earn holding money for weeks or months. A very small business might not make enough with this tactic to amount to much but if they are taking lots of orders that float time could come to a very large sum. It also takes basic safety away from a customer as businesses that are slow to deliver can build and build and then shut down.
    If they do not have it in inventory it should not be sold. And they should never apply a charge to a card unless they have shipped the item. It is dishonest and bad business. And yes, jail can be a cure.

9. Big Daddy

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Blue, what flugelhorn did you get? I just got a Getzen Custom 3895 at a nice price.

Who knows why it's takes longer than expected. Could be some one else is the chain. The manufacturer, some one in sales, district manager , shipping department, shipping company or someone at prowinds. For your time and inconvience you got a better flugelhorn at a killer price and prowinds probably lost money on it. Is that so bad? If you use a credit card you can make a dispute and get your money back.

10. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Everyone has different expectations. I usually expect same day shipping when I place an order. If a seller tells me he can't ship for ten days I might buy or not buy but I do expect truthful and accurate statements. That is why I consider this enough to pull a business permit. Every customer is entitled to a truthful and accurate statement.. I've seen this with horns coming in from India and China. The seller promises 14 day delivery. In truth he orders a full shipping container to get a price of freight. So if it takes 60 trombones and 400 trumpets to fill that container then you are lied to until that big shipment comes in and that 14 days turns into three months. The catch is that you ordered that trumpet for Christmas or the start of school for your kid and the band director doesn't like the kid not having a horn for the first three months of school or the ten year old has nothing under the tree . This is a criminal practice in my opinion.