Bad Pro Winds :(

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Nick Park, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    There are many factors that go into this. First prowinds is a small company trying to compete in a down economy with a conglomerate like Guitar Centers (Woodwind and Brass Works, Musicians Friend, Music 123, Music and Arts Center, Lyons Music, along with others) and most of the time giving you a better price. Prowinds have been in business for about ten years? So a few things gets messed up once in a while. The what if's don't apply to reality. If that happened to you it's one thing. You can complain, warn people and give your situation here but to start crying criminal is a whole different debate which I believe many people on a trumpet blog wouldn't be qualified to argue. Prowinds sells more Saxophones than trumpets. Check out the Saxophone blogs or type in, "prowinds complaints" into google and see what you get. How many instruments does prowinds sell a year, hundreds? Any how many people have a complaint, a few?

What ever happened to the OP with 2 TM posts? Member since 2007 and only chimed in when he had a problem with prowinds. Did his problem get resolved 47 days later? If so don't you think he should let us know after the way he titled his thread? Out of 1388 views as of now, if they were so bad at prowinds you'd think we would have heard about more complaints right?

I dread the day when we have only one corporation to buy everything from.

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree that terms like "criminal" or "fraud" are not appropriate ... and not true.

EDIT ... This is not to dismiss what sounds bad business practices and/or bad communication, or dismiss the difficulties some people went through. I just think that "criminal" and "fraud" are strong words that mean something very specific. I doubt that it is ProWind's intent to defraud or steal from anyone.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    I am aware that people see things differently and I'm not a judge. But to argue that only a few customers suffer abuse is, to me, about like saying that The Boston Strangler should not go to prison. After all, during his life he met many thousands of women and only strangled a dozen or whatever.
    In our society be it right or wrong a person is more like a chain. We are judged by our worst moment just as a chain is as good as its worst link.
    Failure to deliver without an immediate offer to refund is not acceptable behavior even if it is only once in a while. I will never order from any company that fails to communicate directly, quickly and clearly about such things. If Pro Winds did not know when the horn would ship they should have made that clear before taking the order and absolutely never accepted money until it shipped. Circumstance means nothing in such cases.

4. Nick Park

Nick Park New Friend

Nov 10, 2007
    I am really sad that I am the case.
    If I were like your cases, I would really be credible to Prowinds.

For updating my status, I searched and found the email of Dean Foster, who is the president of the company.
    And I emailed several times and after that I could receive a reply.
    He proposed to choose refund or bach artisan C trumpet in same price.
    I chose refund because Phil from Schilke was really kind to me.
    And he confirmed the refund.
    But after that no changes.
    So I sent emails, and he replied to me in 10/4/2011 that "I am surprised that you have not received your refund. Our accounting department assures me that it has been processed. I will check with them upon my return to the office tomorrow."
    And no reply from then.
    I sent emails a lot, and called to the company.

2 days ago, I asked Samsung Card related to this case. the Card company called to me that in principle they do not do the dispute for refund after 120 day passed. But for this case I have a clue that they will do the refund, and the amount of money is huge. So, they are going to do the dispute. And for the dispute 45 days are needed.
    So I am just waiting for 45 days.

I learned a lesson from this case that
    (1) when buying a trumpet, contact to the product company and be informed the dealer.
    (2) Check if the dealer has the trumpet in stock.
    (3) If the trumpet is not in stock(that means, the dealer lied to me), going into a refund procedure as soon as possible.

5. Blue

Blue New Friend

Aug 20, 2011
    Big Daddy you were shopping at the other end of the Flugel spectrum! That Getzen is sweet! I got a Bach FH600. It is nice and all I wanted was a horn to goof around on more than a real "Pro" model. I dont know how much better the FH600 is than the "Roy Benson" I originaly ordered, if it is any better at all, but the price was deeply discounted on the Bach due to my situation etc etc etc.

In the end I am happy with my horn I guess, it was the whole experience that left me cold. Very poor communication and it was always initiated by me and then I felt like my sales guy ..who as I said was a really decent guy... seemed to always have to "re-open" the case with his boss. In the old days you would go to the store pay a down payment and they would order it. Which I am ok with if they tell me this up front, but today with the internet and internet stores as opposed to brick and mortar ones we expect to pay and have them ship the item immediately. I am guilty of that expectation too. Pro Winds is a brick and mortar store trying to compete with big internet stores too.

In retrospect I think that is what happened. It felt like the web store shows everything Prowinds has access to but not necessarily whats in stock. When you pay, they place the order. Sometimes the manufacturer takes longer, shipping etc. The website is no indication that something is in stock. They are competing against WWBW, Music 123 GC etc. who all use the same 3 Milllion sq ft warehouse in Kansas City and have ENORMOUS stock on hand.

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, there is one way of dealing with a situation like this - Write a song about it and put it on youtube (as Dave Carroll did, with the song "United breaks guitars"...)

7. JonathanPhillips

JonathanPhillips Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    ProWinds is closed permanently.

8. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    It would have been nicer if they had closed down before delaying shipments to people. Maybe ill health struck. But small companies do need plans for personal disasters so that customers aren't screwed when such things occur.

9. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    They aren't answering the phones. Are they really closed?