Bad Surprise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jiarby, Apr 10, 2014.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    At my big band rehearsal tonight I fulled my Ferrari out of it's case (Torpedo) and was shocked to see this:
    It's a Kanstul 1601 with a copper bell. How big a deal do you guys think the fix will be? Will it need re-lacquering? Annealling after the repair?

[​IMG]

2. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    So that does not say much good for the Torpedo, does it?

The hefty dents can be fixed, but they will leave marks on the bell.

3. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    My goodness! What did happen exactly?

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think it says more about how OP was handling it than with the case.

No way that happened without a significant drop or by sitting something extremely heavy on it.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The dent isn't that bad.
    I Highly doubt that the tech would anneal. Since the damage is near the bell wire, annealing will be difficult if the wire is soldered in. More trouble than its worth.

6. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I feel for you as I've had my share of bell crushes, mostly during the gigs though. I've never been a fan of these gig bags or soft cases for a variety of reasons and what happened to you just confirmed them.

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Ouch- sorry to see/hear the Ferrari was damaged in the Garage...

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, that will teach you NEVER to let a saxophone player handle your case... ham-fisted yokels to a man. Seriously, the techs at Kanstul should be able to fix it. Won't be a cheap thingie, though.

9. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    As a teacher of grade 7 and 8 instrumental music I fix stuff like this on a regular basis. Bell damage like that looks much worse than it really is. A tiny mouthpiece ping on a casing looks like nothing, but is much more significant damage. Anyway, the wrinkles will rub out and will not be noticeable. The lacquer will go frosty where it's been stretched, though. Nothing you can do about that except strip, buff and relac. Sorry this happened to you. BTW, what piece is that on your stand?

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hope it gets worked out without too much difficulty. If it's any consolation, the bell on my 17A looks worse than that one. Copper's nice, but the softness can be a drawback:-o:oops: