Bad Surprise...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jiarby, Apr 10, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man oh man that sucks!! It will need lacquer once repaired. I have a Getzen Super Deluxe that I had the bell repair done on and it does have noticeable marks where the creases were. Cross that off my list of gig bags to own! I would give Torpedo a call just to let them know!

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    There won't be any annealing, but there will be a lacquer scars. Touching up lacquer on copper is pretty hard, at least for me, I've never gotten it to look right. You might either have to live with e scars, or get the whole bell stripped and re lacquered.

3. Littlejg

Littlejg Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2011
    UK
    I had a similar accident with my gold plated '66 Olds Recording about 4 years back......the copper bell was twisted round, much worse than yours. I took it to a local semi-retired brass instrument maker/repairer, old guy, very experienced. After a 10 minute chat with him praising the Olds trumpets/cornets......he hadn't seen one for many years...a joy to handle etc. He held it like a baby and took me into his workroom, it was like watching an artist at work.
    He had a round wooden pole mounted horizontally on a bench......placed the end into the bell....no hammers or tools, just started coaxing it back into shape with his hands and using his body weight! It took about 5 or 6 minutes...magic!....cost £10!........an upmarket shop had previously quoted £75-100 plus vat!.......looking at the soft bend in your pic I don't think it will need re-lacquering, but I would ask to see the repair first before agreeing to a full re-lacquering.......also try to get someone recommended with a good reputation!

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Just strip the lacquer off the bell. Over time it will turn interesting colors. :whistle:

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I had similar damage on my Strad many years ago. It was relatively inexpensive to fix, but left a frosty seam where the bell was bent.

Mike

6. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    In Steve's defense, the Torpedo I have is the Outlaw Single. It has a softer shell than the normal Torpedo. Keep your eyes peeled over at the TH Classifieds, I will be selling this case soon and getting the hard shelled one. I like the torpedo, but the spend the extra dough and get the mack-daddy.

The chart on the stand was a new one passed out last night... called "Jones Mobile" written by Scott Whitfield. He's coming to town at the end of the month and doing a show at the Kerr Cultural Center in Scottsdale with us and a couple other bands. The chart is a fun shuffle, with a strong lead part... there are a bunch of high A's.. Even E's & G's in the 2nd book, and some tricky looking fast licks that actually lay easier than they look. I think it came from his days at UNT in the mid 1980's.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    HAHAHA!!!! Thanks for the warning! Selling at TH!!! HAHAHA!!!! ROFLROFLROFLROFL

8. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I have a gold lacquered 1932 Conn 2B that had been forced into the case upside down at some point and was bowed and had a major crinkle in the bell. My gentleman friend acquired it at an estate sale for a nominal sum. He spent his career in the Air Force working on planes and decided to smooth the bell out himself. The only clue that the horn had been damaged is some crazing of the vintage gold lacquer. You can't even feel where the damage was.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  10. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    One of my section mates knew a horn guy on the west side of town that he like so he took the horn and brought it back last night. Definitely see the scar in the lacquer. Have to send it off this summer to Kanstul.

I know someone will ask... that's a Kanstul 2-valve G-Bugle from the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps in the background. Bell engraved "The Commandant's Own".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]