Baking Soda Silver experiment

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by anthony, Dec 26, 2013.

1. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Hi well I must say I was a little skeptical at first but I tried the baking soda and aluminum foil silver trick for cleaning tarnished mouthpieces and I was happy and surprised with the results.:play: Next I am going to clean my trumpet it is a silver Conn 22B ....one thing I was wondering about I read you can use salt with the baking soda does it make it more effective and would
    using more baking soda make it clean brighter. Thank You Anthony

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Once you still have granules of baking soda laying on your aluminum foil, there's enough. The point of heating the water is to dissolve more baking soda.

As for brighter... there comes a point where there is no tarnish at all. How bright that is depends on the additives to the silver that was used to plate your trumpet. Different platers might choose different brighteners.

Tom

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I always thought people used salt because it left less residue ... I don't know this for a fact just kind of assumed it.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Do not use iodized salt! Read the box label to be certain it is not.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    + 1 ................... Good advice Ed.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Adding table salt speeds up the reaction a little. In the greater scheme of things, there is probably no harm in this so long as the instrument is thoroughly rinsed afterwards. However, I've seen galvanic corrosion do some pretty wyrd things pretty quickly, so personally I'm happy to give it the extra hour or so in straight bicarb simply for peace of mind.