Balanced embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phil986, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    So I ran into this B.E. method during my ramblings on the net, in search of range, endurance, power and glory (what else do trumpeters think of?).

It looked all to familiar: "send me your money, I'll ship you a double high C with UPS ground; this month' special: sight reading option for an addititional $50."

That kind of thing. But I noticed that TH has a dedicated section only for BE stuff, suggesting it is legitimate to an extent. So I'm curious: has anyone here tried it and if yes, what do you think?

2. KomebackKid

KomebackKid New Friend

Mar 24, 2010
    Connecticut
    I would think that if the BE was really great it would sell for more than $50. You cannot beat practice and patience.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If it looks too good to be true, it probably is.

If everyone could play like a pro, we all would.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Well, I'm exaggerating a little bit (and the $50 sight reading thing is my joke). But nevertheless, the author makes some pretty strong claims. There is no promise of instant results or anything outrageous. In fact, it looks rather more credible than the run of the mill range/endurance for sale on the net. That's why I'm asking.

5. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    From what little I've read, there seems to be some logic to the concepts, but the exercises are a little wacky and it seems like you'd have to study directly with an expert (or the guy who came up with it) to be successful. I thought about buying the book out of curiosity, but never did.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I have the book, and worked through BE for a few months last year. Like many methodologies, I think the author has figured out some concept he/she has found helpful, and is attempting to convey it to others.

BE introduces certain emouchure adjustments, such as rolling-in and rolling-out your embouchure. You then practice long tones and lip slurs using these adjustments.

I used the method early in my comeback to the trumpet. I feel it helped me to understand certain things about my embouchure and tongue position. But for me personally, I felt there were more important things I should be working on.

The BE forum on TH, which Phil986 mentioned, might be helpful. The author is the moderator of the forum.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anybody that starts with a Double C claim gets thrown into the snake oil bin in my book. The advantages of ANY decent method are better playing but NO ONE can claim that a certain method can guarantee results. What also never gets mentioned is the cost of business.

I personally do not know too many double C screamers that have the gentle touch needed for ensemble work like a symphonic wind band or symphony orchestra. Those types of players need a different type of finesse to do their job. Pointing your focus toward the high range VERY often destroys that finesse, making the player OBNOXIOUS in these settings.

There are the chosen few with the DEDICATION, BRAINS, CHOPS and TIME to be very fine all round players. They are not the ones using these methods.

My experience is that the real lead player has a certain type of "attitude" making them suitable for that type of work. That is not found in ANY method book.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

Very well said! If you believe that anyone has the holy grail of trumpet playing, I have some beach front property in New Mexico I would like to sell you! ie, Name one of the top players who uses this method.

9. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I bought the book a few years ago. Its a very interesting and enjoable read. I did the exercises for a year or so. They are admittedly odd exercises. My family didn't know what the heck I was up to down in my studio.The exercises took some time to do so and I tended to do them over the more traditional stuff and ended up with negative results. I was playing lead in a big band and ended up losing a couple notes off my high range. Ultimately, I quit BE and went back to the tried and true materials I knew and my range came back. Sold the book. I think the concept is good but it didn't work for me. I tend to think my range would have come back with BE, too, and possibly increased.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have a small seaside property on the Queensland Gold Coast for sale to the right buyer - nice slightly sloping block of about 1/3 of an acre. Lovely view, can't be built out, gets slightly smaller at high tide though. ;-)