Balanced embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phil986, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Thanks to all for the input. I guess there probably is some insight in the method and that the claims are typical marketing stuff. For now, I don't really want to divert from my practice time by adding this. If I run into some serious obstacles against which nothing works, it surely deserves a try.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    There are many different published methods out there (they all work for the writer) for increasing your upper register, the trick is to find the one that uses an embouchure closest to your own, this way you can improve what you have without making any radical changes which can set you back, this is where most players make their mistake.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Instead of reading a book, why not take lessons from a good teacher?

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The trick is finding a good teacher who understands different embouchure types,too many teachers only know how they themselves play,if they only have an F above high C ,they think that's normal, and any notes above it is extreme , sometimes you have to look elsewhere.

5. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    That's exactly what I'm doing. Doesn't prevent being curious.
    Al, I'm working at solidifying up to high C right now, I'm not too concerned with the stratosphere. But once again, that doesn't prevent being curious.

6. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    This is very true. I always tell people to shop around. Look for a teacher who has a proven record of helping all types of students. Not just the ones that may fit a narrow method. I feel I'm more of a coach that guides students to figure things out but keeps them out of the ditches

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY

By George, I believe that actually is normal!!

An old friend would always say to me: "Act normal, will ya." Still trying to figure out what it means.

veery

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I rest my case.

9. Raw_Brass_Kicks

Raw_Brass_Kicks New Friend

Aug 21, 2009
    Jeff Smiley, the writer of the book, has very good track records with his students.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uh! yeah Robin -- your right --we are the ones who can (or will) be able to play it all --- and it takes dedication, intelligent practice (brains), sufficient time (to build the chops) --- and just plain old practice, and more practice, and then some more practice ----good practice that makes a good player!!!!! (eventually)