Balanced embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Phil986, Apr 9, 2010.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'll trade you my BE Method Book for it!

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    KT,
    I really do believe in the American Dream-you can be anything that you want, you just have to want it hard enough. That is the trick. Being able to focus that burning desire. Being able to overcome living in the middle of nowhere with no teacher withing thousands of miles. Being able to unlearn bad habits. Being able to have opportunities to play. Being able to have that "attitude" to succeed.

My take - it is almost "impossible" to find people with that amount of mind over matter.

My focus as a teacher is to build all-round skills, solid sound, rhythm and technique. As the player develops, preferences appear and then we fine tune until they move on. The burners CAN'T be held back. Often two lessons per week are required (as well as more emotional support).

Bottom line: we can learn the mechanics of high range. If we don't understand the real FUNCTION of those notes, we probably won't however - regardless of method.

Just like some men finding blondes attractive and others brunettes, neither necessarily ends up with the preferred as a wife. The girl of my dreams is often not my dream girl - the best choice for a long happy relationship. That also applies to the trumpet.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tedh1951 [​IMG]
    I have a small seaside property on the Queensland Gold Coast for sale to the right buyer - nice slightly sloping block of about 1/3 of an acre. Lovely view, can't be built out, gets slightly smaller at high tide though. ;-)

I'll trade you my BE Method Book for it!

Clearly Old Chap you don't quite understand Queensland property scams (or perhaps you think little of your BE Method Book). Beware of purchasing anything in Queensland where the tide is mentioned in the property description - it generally means that most of the land is underwater at high tide, and subsequently you can't get building approval. It's another standing Aussie joke and will mostly get a small giggle when we've been drinking - any laugh is a good laugh. (Oh blast, I promised I wouldn't explain anymore jokes - How are they to learn? One asks oneself - exactly, is the response). ;-)

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here's the girl of my dreams!

Dailymotion - Dizzy Gillespie - Girl Of My Dreams - a Music video

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Balanced Embouchure is not the first DIY embouchure book...its almost a tradition going back to Double High C in 37 Weeks. BE, like DHC37, has some good ideas and can work. BE even has a forum on Trumpetherald. Like much in trumpet pedagogy, pragmatism is the best path. Check it out. If you like it and it works, great. If not, discard it.