Balancing Family life and Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by indigoblue, Feb 25, 2014.

1. indigoblue

indigoblue New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    Most certainly you can, share away :-) Congrats on your granddaughters baby girl! It's wonderful you have a partner that shares your musical interest. I agree, it would make it easier at times. My husband is not a musician himself but is very understanding when it comes to allowing me the time for music. He has always been very supportive too throughout my musical career. He also doesn't mind me playing my heart out in the middle of the living room. I love him so much for that, the tolerant man that he is, hehe. Though, I am considerate of when I do.

2. indigoblue

indigoblue New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    Thanks Jim!

3. indigoblue

indigoblue New Friend

Feb 5, 2014
    Sounds like you have a very supportive partner which is certainly a huge blessing. I'm glad to hear she stopped you from quitting. It probably would of been something you would of regretted if you did. Us trumpet players don't pour this much time, sweat, tears, joy and hard work into our trumpets for nothing. It's wonderful how much practice and a supportive family pays off in the long run ;) It can get discouraging not having anyone around to jam with though. I went through a brief period of that myself before majoring in music. Sometimes having at least one person to play with makes all the hard work we put into our instruments worth it and keeps us going. I really hope you can meet up with some other musicians and land a gig.

4. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    This thread hits right where I live. When I took up trumpet again, I had a 5-year old squid and another one on the way. Now I've got two squids on the ground - The Cowboy and The Bug, respectively.

In the evenings, I just plan on not playing at all, although I've occasionally stuck a mute in the horn and played a few songs for them. The Cowboy swears he's gonna play trumpet like Daddy, so I gave him a mouthpiece to buzz and a cheap horn, more to make him happy than with any thought of furthering his musical abilities. His interest level hasn't reached a point where I want to try to make him take lessons, as I think he'd get burned out real quick. As he gets older, I hope we can have some good bonding times on the trumpet. He does love Miles Davis, which I support. There's nothing quite like Miles Davis when you're in the mood for Miles Davis....

The Bug is intrigued by the shiny horn and wants to stick the entire thing in his mouth, but will also occasionally sing along. As I recall, his lyrics typically include a redundant issuance of the words "ba-badth" with "ga-goike!" composing a major portion of the chorus.

My wife isn't particularly musical, and doesn't particularly like the trumpet, but she's been very supportive, and actually asked me to learn a song for her this week. I couldn't say Yes! fast enough. She and I are both committed to make sure all our kids (don't rule out new additions) learn a musical instrument.

I pretty much practice in the morning before work, and occasionally on my lunch hour. To facilitate this, I recently suspended my gym membership, and started doing the T25 workouts in the evening. Back when I didn't have kids and didn't play the trumpet, I planned all my own workouts and set my fitness goals and did everything myself. Now I've gone ahead and bought the mindless, pre-packaged workouts I swore I'd never touch - all for the furtherance of my musical abilities. If anyone's interested, I can say that they are quite effective.

Going back to your initial premise, I agree. Kids are freakin' awesome. I never had much use for 'em growing up, not even after I was married. Most of my peers and their wives were expecting well before we were, and when they'd make the announcement, it was kind of like, "Ok, I know this is a major step in your life, and I guess I'm happy for you", but in reality it generated about as much excitement in me as if they'd just mentioned they'd replaced their mailbox or something. I just didn't get it.

Now I've got 2, and we plan on having more, and I wouldn't trade it for anything on the planet. Busy? Yep. Frustrating? Sometimes. Non-stop party? Abso-freaking-lutely!

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    May your quiver be full! :-)

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My daughter and son both heard me playing while they were in the womb. My daughter was born shortly before Christmas, when I had a bunch of Christmas Oratorio gigs to play. Shortly after her birth, one of the nurses approached my wife and said (in German), "You told me your husband is a musician--is he perhaps a trumpet player?" After my wife answered the nurse told her that she was feeding my daughter with the radio set to a classical station when a trumpet solo came on. My daughter stopped taking from the bottle and became wide eyed. When the piece was over she began feeding again.

My son, when about two years of age stepped into the aisle as a brass group I was playing in (Posaunenchor) and started to conduct with the right pattern in measure. One of the players told me he wasn't sure who to watch.

Having children grow up with music is a blessing.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And this is how we make squib cakes. Tower of Power - Squib Cakes - In Concert - YouTube Also Abso-freking-lutely!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Being full makes me quiver.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    You know what Squib Cakes are, right?

10. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Urban dictionary just cleared that up for me. I'll go ahead and do my part to steer the bus back onto the road, as follows:

A while back we were in a crowded Sears around Christmas time, and my older squid was across the main aisle from me hiding in a shirt display or something. This dude comes slinking down the aisle, keepin' it real in saggy pants and with a flat-brimmed hat turned sideways, completely starring in his own movie with gold bling and some loud R&B stuff blaring from his mobile device. I saw Brennan's head pop out of the shirts, and he asked, loud enough for people in the neighboring counties to hear, "Daddy, is that a goofy-looking guy?!"

I shushed him with a gesture while inwardly scoreboarding and making plans to buy him an ice cream cone at the first available opportunity.