Balkan sound

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SammyP, Jun 14, 2011.

1. SammyP

SammyP New Friend

Apr 5, 2011
    A player at the local music store said that Boban and others sometimes use a trumpet mouthpiece on the flugelhorn, partly giving the distinct sound. Anyone know more about this?

Also any other information on the style of playing is appreciated

Thanks

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    All I know is that players of that style have very large lungs and very fast fingers. I have a hard time imagining how they play that long and fast without passing out. Maybe the mouthpiece switch is the secret. But, it would require a mod as a trumpet mouthpiece shank will not fit in a flugelhorn receiver (and vice-versa). So, they are doing some custom stuff with the horns.

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    CBK,

With all due respect, this is plain BS. Rotary flugelhorns are often played with trumpet mouthpieces, both by what you call Balkan (that I would call rather gypsy) band and german brass ensembles (Mnozil and Da Blechhauf'n comes to mind). Yes, it is physically demanding, but bear in mind that most of these gypsy bands are not exemplary when it comes to clean articulation and intonation. And no, you don't need bigger lungs for that.

As for mouthpiece receivers - german taper is slightly larger than standard trumpet where trumpet mouthpieces fit , though they go often a bit far in IMO.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you look at the germanic flugelhorn parts, the advantages of trumpet mouthpieces in brilliance, endurance and sound in the high register become apparent.

trumpetnick likes this.