Balloons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mconour, Dec 17, 2007.

1. mconour

mconour New Friend

Feb 20, 2007
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Anyone practice blowing through the mouthpiece or receiver with a balloon attached to develop the airstream? Good idea? Dumb idea?:dontknow:

2. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    never done it. what are you trying to accomplish with the balloon? a visual aid? resistance?

3. mconour

mconour New Friend

Feb 20, 2007
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Sort of Isometric exercises. If the air flow is good with the balloon, wouldn't it then be stronger through the horn without the balloon.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    mconour,
    when I was in the Army, I blew up my airbed with the mouthpiece.

I do not think a balloon on the mouthpiece will help your breathing at all. The backpressure would distort the vibration of the lips.

5. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I think what you are working on is called a spirometer. It is a device for measuring lung capacity and in a way strength. It could also be a manometer that measures air pressure.

Susan Slaughter has endorsed a device to improve lung capacity and air flow. It has to do with a vertical tube and ping pong balls. Maybe you can find something on the internet for wood wind and brass players that looks like this device?

As for a balloon, I don't think this is quite what you want to do because the flow is not a constant resistance. It probably won't hurt. Swimming underwater works pretty well.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With students I would sometimes put a balloon in place of the second valve slide and have them play with the second valve depressed. Since our trumpet magically turns air into sound they were disapointed how slowly the balloon would expand. They would then try to get it to fill up quicker. When they kind of got the hang of it I instructed them to raise the second valve, and the sound they got proved what a monster-loud-full-relaxed sound they were capable of without much effort. The effects didn't last at all, but the satori was worth it, and it sure beats listening to "ich hatte gar kein Zeit zum ueben." ("I had absolutely no time to practice.")

I've seen guys able to burst hot water bottles that were absolute wimps on the trumpet. The best tool to use to go gain power and control over the trumpet is the trumpet.