Band of America in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BudBix, Mar 1, 2007.

1. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    http://www.bandofamerica.org

To Atlanta Area Musicians

The Band of America is looking for serious amatuer musicans to fill out it's ranks.

Band of America® is an adult organization composed of musicians from Atlanta and the surrounding area. The collaboration of Harvey Phillips, Ray Crisara, Rex Sagle and Ralph Gutiérrez starting in May of 2004, the band provides a challenging musical environment for musicians. Band of America® has been organized to revive the quality and splendor of Paul Lavalle's Band of America for the Houston area. During the 1950s, Paul Lavalle was the envy of bandleaders around the world, creating a wind group of the finest professional musicians in New York City, Our goal is to produce wind music played at its best, and to open the eyes of many to the limitless possibilities of wind bands.

The purpose of Band of America is to provide an opportunity for all adult musicians to become more proficient on their instruments, provide an opportunity to perform great musical compositions and impart lasting musical and social values to both the members of the symphonic band and the community.

Paul LaValle created and organized several radio programs including the original Band of America radio program. In 1964 The Band of America began touring extensively and that same year it was appointed the official band of the New York World's Fair for two years. Paul Lavalle served as guest conductor for many orchestras including the New York Philharmonic Symphony, the NBC Symphony, the CBS Symphony, the ABC Symphony and the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra. In 1968, after making two guest appearances at Radio City Music Hall, Paul Lavalle was appointed Director of Music and Principal Conductor of the Radio City Music Hall Orchestra where he remained for seven years. He attended regional music festivals, and clinics, conducted massed bands of high school students in concerts and parades, and gave lectures for both students and Band Directors. His interest in combining youth with music led to the formation of the All-American High School Band, which continues to perform at many events throughout the nation including the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and the Tournament of Roses. By honorary invitation of the Dutch Government, Paul Lavalle was the annual Festivalmeister of the Tulip Time Festival held at Katwijk aan Zee, Holland. For his work with youth he was presented with the "Christopher Award", the "Man and Boy Award", and the "Rollie Statue" for participation in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Audition Committee

Woodwinds:
    Debbie Baker
    770-461-4257

Upper Brass:
    Bruce A. Plott
    770-413-4229

Lower Brass:
    Jennifer Paradis-Hagar
    770-465-9389

Percussion:
    Ralph Gutierrez
    404-909-7538

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    City-Services Gas used to sponsor the band. There was a Band of America valve oil. I think you could send into the show to get a bottle. I am going to call Ray Crisara and ask him about it.
    What a band!
    I remember hearing Ghitalla play the Voices of Spring on Eb trumpet. Wow.
    Wilmer

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Bud, this seems right up your alley! I hope you will go for it! ;-)

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Could this be what fills the void of the now-defunct Goldman Band? For a country like ours to not have a premiere band of amateurs or professional, given the history of band music from the Civil War onward, is disgraceful. I hope you continue to get great players auditioning for it and more national prominence to boot. Much good luck to the organization!

ML

5. ConnMan36B

ConnMan36B New Friend

Feb 27, 2007
    The United States
    I believe I was invited to audition for this band once. I honestly regret not having auditioned - but I was young(er) and dumb at the time. What a great growth experience!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  6. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I wonder how they can use the BOA logo. I'd have thought BandS of America would have put a stop to that by now.

7. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Neat, thanks for the history. I'll have to pass it along to the group.