band playing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, May 31, 2013.

1. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    So after a bit of advice really....

my current practice is:

vizzutti long notes as a warm up
    aurban
    range work+scales
    a few pieces

I also do the 6 note carusio and use te clarke methord and vizzutti methord too like every other day

I play much more cornet than trumpet nowadays and I much prefer playing trumpet, I get a much easier brighter sound and find it rather frustrating when I go and play cornet and cant play above a top A or so....

anyway

I got recommended to practice at greater extremes, so ppp and fff and have been doing some power excersizes and playing very loud which will help the more I do it

but my range and sound on cornet at home is much better, especially my range but when I go down to band I find it much harder to play higher

could this be my warm up?

or im playing too loud at band and not practising loud enough at home?

thoughts?

2. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Is your setup the same in both locations? Sitting down, slouching, standing up, etc. could affect playing if you're practicing one way and performing another. I've had trouble with warming up correctly in band practice because, despite being a trumpet player, I don't really like playing etudes and slurs when everyone can hear me. So in that sense it's just nerves affecting the warmup. On your last point, it may be that, but it might be that you play louder when it's just you but you try harder to blend in with the band?

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sometimes in a group it is tempting to lip notes up in order to get a "brighter" sound and to hear ourselves better. Lipping up is really hard on endurance.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I find that traditional-style cornets are harder to play up high, partly because of using the "proper mouthpiece", and partly because that's just how they are. That said, there's a big difference between at-home practice and a band rehearsal. At band, you play when directed to, at the tempo and dynamic level dictated by the music and the conductor. Add to that the need to listen and play in tune with the ensemble, and it can be a tiring situation. At home, most people don't tend to make themselves do any of that, stopping for a short lip break whenever needed and playing at their own tempos.

5. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Indeedieedie!!
    I started out as a traditionalist, playing Conn Wonders, Henry Lehnert, Stratton et,al...Cornets with the original mouthpieces.
    Later on, as a section player in broadway shows, bar mitzvahs, etcetera. I learned the truth......Now I use a 3c for nearly everything, cornet and trumpet, where I am asked to replicate Armstrong and Beiderbecke, among others.
    Everything has it's place, however. And I still reach for the originals when called for it.
    Great lesson......there...... Playing different mouthpieces.

6. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I have the same problem. When I am at home practicing in the lounge room with just myself and my imagination I sound as good Alison Balsom. When I get to band practice amidst the harsh realities of the band master I am disappointed tha t my imagination has tricked me yet again.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think it may be more performance anxiety that makes up the difference between playing at home versus at band, as I am assuming you use the same warm up... so if that is the case, why would there be a difference in outcomes? With anxiety, it is less about the volume as it is about the breathing. Anything that cuts into the quality of breath support, cuts into the quality of performance.

My thoughts.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    When I imagine Alison Balsom... I loose total concentration.

9. Sharvey

Sharvey Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2012
    Australia
    I see what you mean.

10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    +1 .... as soon as the breath support goes, the MPC pressure goes up, and your lips are worn out in no time. So easy to do when you're not focussed like you are when practising at home.

tj