Band Situation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Oct 21, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I'm currently in a situation where the embouchure that I pay with is not correct, and I want to change it, but I have to (and want to) stay in the band for its next few concerts in a few months. I'm planning on play with my embouchure for the next few months, then changing it later. Comments or suggestions?

2. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Like everyone else says on this site. Find yourself a private teacher and maybe some other qualified trumpet players and let them see you play. There is no such thing as a correct embrochue only a good one.

Also if you dont practice an hour or more a day if you did change your embrochue you would probally be working really hard by practicing to get your chops back when you could have just practiced that hard in the first place.

3. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    We just need a stick about embrochue changes.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Here are some of the titles of your recent threads:

Band Situation

Big lips ( 1 2)

Playing with different embouchures causes damage? ( 1 2)

Bottom lip curled in

What's the difference between mouthpiece sizes? ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

If I get braces ( 1 2)

How does changes in the teeth affect your embouchure?

Right or Wrong Embouchure

mouthpiece lowering

Position on upper lip

How long an embouchure change takes

unintentional movement of bottom lip

Question about mouthpiece placement

Trying to make lips vibrate

Using 2 embouchures ( 1 2)

progressing through an embouchure change

Changing to a new embouchure ( 1 2)

In all of the threads above you receive well wishes and advice that your embochure decision should NOT be made over the internet and that you should get a teacher to help you. All the threads have different titles but you're essentially asking the same questions over and over...

edcon1981 likes this.
  5. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    clearly he's just waiting for someone to tell him about the new "quick change" embouchure by jean baptiste available at your local sam ash.

6. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Just get some plastic surgery and the problem will solve itself. Steroids might work too. Good luck!

7. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    "clearly he's just waiting for someone to tell him about the new "quick change" embouchure by jean baptiste available at your local sam ash."

I would like someone to tell me about that embouchure as well. You say it can be found at Sam Ash . . .?

8. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Whose embouchure do you plan to use? I'm willing to rent you mine for 1 week at $250. I need it back before my next gig.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
  10. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

As a fellow trumpeter still in school pressured to do flips and tricks for my own band, I'm going to agree with the above posters in that you NEED to get yourself a good trumpet teacher. I went through some major lower lip problems last year to the point where I was seriously doubting any future in trumpet, got in contact with the most experienced local trumpet teacher at the beginning of September and I'm already back, playing better than I ever have before. So do yourself a favor and talk to a teacher - and a very experienced one, at that.