"Banda" - news to me

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gunshowtickets, Aug 25, 2015.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I saw a topic on the oTHer forum about "mariachi" trumpets and someone mentioned a genre of music related to mariachi called "banda".
    Supposedly, the players are not classically trained, but more of a generational instruction method is used.
    I found this one band with a slew of videos on youtube and there is some astounding playing here. Kind of mariachi meets big band.
    I can listen to this literally all day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWXruZV_SPY&list=RDBoZoF2vun6w&index=8

2. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Aside from what you found on YouTube what are some other quality examples worth listening to?

3. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I don't know that a lot of it gets recorded. I haven't found any on Amazon.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    I like it. Those Mooliacks over there (just kidding bros) never did answer my query......... Perhaps they know not about La Banda... :-)

5. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
  6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I'm not a big fan. We have Spanish-language TV here with some great Mexican music on it. IMO there are other folk-based forms that trump it. Ironically, it first came to my attention when I was reading a newspaper article a couple of years back about a rash of tuba thefts in California, attributed to the rise in popularity of Banda bands.

7. ElJman85

ElJman85 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Banda music is pretty popular now a days. More popular than mariachi music. It's considered pop music in Mexico. I know a few people that play it and they are classically trained but the banda style is something else. I tried it back when I was in high school and couldn't keep up. Most third trumpet parts are on top of the first and second. I stuck with mariachi instead.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    If you have a tuba for sale, LA is the place. We had one of those bands playing at someones house down the street. The tuba ( actually it was a sousaphone) player thought it was a riot to point his bell inside a car that had the window open. Worse than rap music... rattled the entire car and you could hear it down the street. Finally at 1:30 I walked over and cried NO MAS.
    I have alot of respect for some of those cats. Those gigs are non stop playing... but as to that style of music... meh

9. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I haven't watched it lately, but one of the Spanish-language networks (Univision?) has or had a show called "Estudio Dos" or "Estudio 2". In addition to some of the worst comedians ever to draw breath, they regularly featured several Bandas, as well as a fine selection of dancers. There are at least eight seasons of it available online. Any show that would feature Vanessa Arias has to be worth watching.

10. ElJman85

ElJman85 New Friend

Jun 30, 2012
    Banda is a popular music everywhere in the south western
    US and mexico. Go on amazon and you'll get tons of options. I got tons of Banda cds. Banda el recodo, banda el limon, banda la costena. El coyote y su banda tierra santa. Trust me you will find recordings!

coolerdave likes this.