Bandaid?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dennis78, Sep 30, 2015.

1. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Clean out that 3-in-1 stuff and try a good high-viscosity valve oil. In addition to Hetman #3, I've used Roche "SlikStuf" in a very worn early 1920's Boosey tuba that's simply not worth the price of a valve job. Alisyn makes a good heavier oil, and I believe even Yamaha markets one, which might be easier to find in a local store than the other brands. It's still just a temporary small relief. But check for other worn parts while you're cleaning - valve guides, actuating rod ends, corks, any washers that may be present. Not that those things will fix your problem, but they can't hurt, either. Please don't read any of the threads here suggesting DIY honing by inserting the pistons in from the bottom. That guy made his own ill-conceived valve oil, too.

2. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    No I wouldn't do anything remotely crazy, but the valve guides are not uniform to each other. Could that cause play in the valves?

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    No, the guides only prevent rotation of the piston, play in the valves is wear of the casings and valves, the only real solution as others have said is a rebuild, valves are fitted to a very close tolerance typically 0.0005" or better. It would have to be a very special horn for me to spend $500+ on a valve job, factor in shipping and currency conversion there would be not much change from A$1000.

Which is why I want to have a go at doing my own on a Besson 10-10, I have had experience at making steel laps and honing cylinders and fitting pistons.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Whereas a brand spanking new Bauerfeind valve block would cost.....?

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Now that Adams owns Bauerfind, it may be hard for others to obtain them, my Eclipse has a Bauerfind valves, now Leigh I believe is sourcing elsewhere.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    That's exactly the reason Hub van Laar made his own valve company near the German-Czech Republic border.

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Dennis, you seem to me quite a promising new member of this forum but I want to advice you that maybe it's not a very good idea to stick to one brand of horns for emotional reasons.
    Maybe it's quite romantic to pamper old Holtons but they are certainly not the end of the world.
    All of us here have or had in some phase of their lives idea's like yours but they are not very productive. Speaking for myself I collected a vintage 80A (1942), a 36A (1948) and a Henri Selmer B700 tb trumpet (1971).
    When I started that trip In decided that only completely useable and tip top horns were allowed in my house and I paid for that.
    The B700 was intensively used and suffered from stupid brass repair so I invested quite a lot of money to fulfill my standards, in fact a wrong decision but alas.
    I still play them all but only for fun and if I played them and take my Concept TT it's like entering a complete different world.
    So my advice is: You have to make up your mind, are you a player or a collector? I have great admiration for people like Dale and VetPsychWars who are really pampering their beautiful vintage horns but don't forget that they invest thousands of dollars in them. But if you are a player maybe it's a better way to buy a modern, preferably new, horn of a respected and trustworthy brand.
    Take your loss on the 48 and go on.
    When I play my Concept TT or my very good Yamaha YTR6345 and even the now reasonable B700 it's a complete different experience than playing the old stuff.

8. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I'm player/collector, eventually I would like to invest in this horn and when the kids are doing their own thing then really buckle down. For now me and my B47 will be in the community band keepin it going. Later in life more serious with a new horn, probably a Bach 37. I'm not sure why I'm attached to Holton, I think it's because I really like the feel of the valves

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    As a fellow player/collector I can relate, it can be satisfying to collect one brand, to explore the different models, my second horn was a Selmer B700, followed by a Radial C99, these were my only horns for 20 years playing in church and concert band. When I got the collecting bug I decided to stick with Selmer, I have 15, from 1930s cornet to a Concept TT. When the price of good Selmers started to get out of my range I turned to other makes and now have about 40 total mostly the more unusual designs, all in good playable condition.

My current go to for Big Band are the Concept TT, Eclipse MS, Holton ST301 and the 1942 Olds Super.

I have now stopped buying and turned my attention to restoration of some beaters aquired cheaply.

Regards, Stuart.

10. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Just a little update, and a thanks for all the replies! So I don't know why but I just finished doing some practice and for about 15 minutes I used the 48, the 3in1 didn't get washed off but I added just a couple of drops of my standard valve oil and for those 15 minutes those valves were great! I'm guessing that it has a soul and sometimes it wants to be played enough to cooperate. I can't wait to complete my valve envelope and make this baby new again. Maybe the Hetmans 3 will do for now, I'll have to order some and see. Again thank you everyone for the response, and worry not I know much of this is not DIY, I have a Cecilio for experiment if I have that urge