Bands for Adult Beginners

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanPhillips, Dec 26, 2011.

1. JonathanPhillips

JonathanPhillips Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    Can someone suggest to me a good group to join and really get my chops wet? The New Horizons Bands seem ok (I'm age-eligible :lol:), however, the one closest to me charges a pretty steep fee to belong and the $$$ aren't there. I live in SW Ohio.

Jon

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Go to where you think you belong based on the level where you are at. If you are just returning to the trumpet, a higher level band may challenge you in an unpleaset way, depending on your sight reading skills.

BrotherBACH.

3. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Have you looked into a community band? Ours is comprised of high school students up to septegenarians; and are at all levels. I am in my sixties and was a comeback player starting last year. I play second chair trumpet and hope to double on my bass trumpet in the trombone section.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is me too ..... so +1

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Jon, I am from Dayton. There I believe are sitting in nights at the Blue Wisp in Cincinnati (perhaps it is a Monday evening I think) and the Jazz Central in Dayton has a sitting in night on Sunday evenings. I really loved hiving this opportunity to "get my chops wet" when I moved to Dayton in the early 90's at a Miamisburg club that was called TJ's. Unfortunately, TJ's is gone, but you can find others such as the Blue Wisp and Jazz Central that have jam nights. I would give these places a call and set get specifics as to the nights they jam. I will keep a head's up to see if there are other opportunities.

By the way, do let me know the where abouts that you live in SW Ohio. If it is close by, I will let you know if our band is playing in your area and give you advanced notice so we can get a chance to meet,

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Me too.

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Find three other people and form a brass choir? The local high school probably has tons of music in its library, they would probably give you some sheet music, for all levels of players.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
  9. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Check out Gary's band if they come near you.

10. terrytuner

terrytuner Pianissimo User

Sep 23, 2010
    Tennessee
    Quit playing in 1980. Resumed about 18 months ago. Now playing in community band and Sr. orchestra. Alas, I'm more valuable to both groups on F horn rather than trumpet. I own a horn...