bands you've played with

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Nov 16, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Title says it all. Just wondering what are some of the bands you might have played with. For some of you older players who may have played with some of the greats, maybe you could tell me what it was like, and the personality of some of them.

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    Do you mean "big" bands, like famous, or just any band that we've ever played with?

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Claudio Roditi was my teacher, and we would then head down to the Village after my lessons to jam with Mel Torme's band. He was incredibly nurturing. Very soft spoken, and I would love to hear him talk to others in Portuguese when calls would come into him. What a beautiful language. Claudio had patience, calm, and yet displayed a passion that inspired steady progression. After performing together with the ensembles he would assemble, he would then stop to reflect constructive feedback that would instill that same passion into my playing. He was always the model teacher. I use much of the approach he provided me in how I teach in the medical arts.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Louis Bellson, was also such a pleasure to play with. He would set up the band where he would play just under the risers upon which the trumpets would stand. I had the perfect perspective to observe his technque and style. He used Hapkido breathing technique, and would phrase his percussion vollys around this breathing. He was very spiritial in relating playing style all of us in the band as a way to keep our ensemble playing in the pocket.

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    gmonady, sounds as though you not only had good teachers, but great individuals as well.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Because these individuals believed in working on and building realationships.

7. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Gmondady: I'm STILL jealous of the fact you knew and took lessons from Claudio, and I always will be!

I've played with a professional blues band called the Out of Favor Boys (out of Kalamazoo Michigan). I also had an opportunity to play with the Western Jazz Quartet (Western Michigan University) twice back in high school. Those are the only two that I'd call memorable or semi-famous/well known.

Good times!
    Kujo

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I don't know if this counts or not, I got to play with the U.S. Air Force Academy Band. We played Hail to the Spirit of Liberty march. It was through the Education Outreach Program. I got to play and got a bunch of cool stuff. It was really fun.

9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I once bought a Bach trumpet from a producer in Hollwood who's son did not want to continue playing trumpet. We met up in downtown LA where I took out the horn to play test it. He must have been impressed because he invited me to play with The Ohio Players who had some issues getting their brass section regarding schedule conflict. It turned out to be a recording session in the studio and that was the first for me. Getting paid was great, but after speaking in detail with the guys. I would not make my living as a full time musician. I like playing in my church and with some local communitty bands.

Kudos to all you full time pro's. My hat comes off to you all.:-)

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I yam jealous!! Mel Torme may have been the best jazz vocalist ever, and a (insert emphasizing epithet here) incredible musician. Even if you didn't get to play with or meet him you have been touched by greatness if you played with his band.

Mel Torme & George Shearing together cut some of the finest recordings I know of.