bands you've played with

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    No pro gigs for me. Played in several community groups here, and a contemporary Christian group, plus a Healing worship group. No big names....... :oops:

2. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Played in several community bands here, a contemporary Christian group, and a Healing worship group. No pro gigs for me, and no big names.........:oops:

3. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Seems I'm having Deja vous today:dontknow::lol::roll::oops:

4. bachfella

bachfella Mezzo Piano User

Oct 11, 2011
    Claymont, DE
    I have to confess I'm a bit jealous of gmonady and acarcido too!! Those must have been great times for you guys, just to have a chance to rub elbows with great musicians like Claudio Roditi, Louis Bellson and the Ohio Players, not to mention Mel Torme's band, and perhaps Mel himself. My most memorable playing experience happened right here in Delaware. As you probably know, Clifford Brown was born and raised in Wilmington, and there was a rehearsal big band in the early '90's named after his first teacher, Robert "Boysie" Lowery. I had the good fortune to play in that band's trumpet section for a while, and to study with Boysie for a brief period. Boysie was soft-spoken and kind, and the only thing that made him angry was a student doubting his/her ability. The chance to know him and a great group of fellow musicians, many of whom had played and recorded with top names in the business, taught me a lot--one of the things that stood out was that these guys just PLAYED, without over-analyzing what they were doing, and none had a big ego. They were just regular guys who happened to by VERY good at playing instruments. I felt BLESSED just to be able to be in the same band!!

5. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    buck with a bach, you may not know it, but you played with the best band ever. They don't get any better than the leader of your praise band.

6. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Amen to that.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I prefer a certain sense of anonymity on internet forums for personal reasons - and I am ~not~ famous, I've just been around, but here are some people who have performed with my bands. Mostly you'd have to be over fifty, I guess, to know most of them, but here goes: Bob Hope, Ann Jeffries, John Denver, Ann Jillian, Leslie Uggams, Peter Marshall, Herb Jeffries, Charleton Heston in a speaking role, more, I guess; can't remember off hand. I've performed as a guest with the Honolulu Youth Symphony, the Royal Hawaiian Band, the United States Air Force Band.

8. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    When I was very young (13-14) I was allowed to sit in with the house band at the Landing in San Antonio. Jim Cullum still has the Landing, and is one of the premier Dixieland cornetists today. I also played quite a bit with Ernie Caceres during that time as well, and learned quite a bit just by being around him. Later in life I started playing rock'n'roll (keyboards) and played basically in the same band from 1969 to present day, and had the chance to play shows with quite an assortment of legendary and not-so-much bands. Played with Brian and Kevin Black a bit (Clint's lesser famous brothers), but mostly on keys. Been an interesting journey so far, without really going anywhere.

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    Some interesting stories. I'm sure the experiences and friends you've made threw music will last a lifetime. To all my friends at trumpet master who took the time to help me become a better trumpet player, I wish you all a safe and happy thanksgiving.

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I started playing outside the school as an 11th grader here in Raleigh, NC. A lot of great experiences there like playing for local college dances and stuff. We won a battle of the bands at Campbell College in Buies Creek, but later disqualified because the drummer and I were only 17....there went our $500 prize and playing back up to Wet Willie. At 18, I auditioned and played for the US Coast Guard Band for 19 months...lotsa stories there. When I went to NCSU on the GI Bill in 1980, I played for their Concert Band ( for the GPA really ). In 1990 I played in a Big Band ( Central Carolina Jazz Orchestra ). I enjoyed playing with the visiting artists that came in for a show. Tim Matthews was a great inspiration ( a saxaphonist with Count Basie's Band at the time ). He said make every note count and that the rests were just as important as the note. Good advise that I'll never forget. I played with Adjustyd Bluz for a couple of years until it became the guitar ego show. After all that, what I like most is playing with a house band as a guest or in church with keyboard. I've never had a trumpet lesson, but, I have been taught a lot by the sax players in my life.