Barbara Butler

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trpt2345, Apr 12, 2007.

1. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    So I was at work today and someone said Barbara was rehearsing downstairs with a pianist. So I went to say hello, hadn't seen her or Charlie (who was there too) for years. It was great, she sounded fabulous. Did my heart good. One of the greatest influences in my life. So both Bud and Barbara within ten days at Merit.

Michael McLaughlin

2. ilikethetrumpet

ilikethetrumpet Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2006
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Wow... If I knew then what I knew now I'd have gone to the merit school!

3. Tom Mac

Tom Mac Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2007
    Nashville Tennessee
    I am truely sorry to be "kinda ignerent" but, tell me about Barbara Butler. I am not familiar with her or her playing.

T. Mac (a product of the south)

4. trpt2345

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    She's from Iowa, studied at Northwestern with Vince Cichowicz, played Lyric Opera, Grant Park, CSO, went with hubby Charlie Geyer (who joined CSO while still an undergrad at NW) to Eastman about 1980, and became one of the most influential teachers of the last twenty years. Three of her students are now members of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra trumpet section, and many others populate orchestras around the country. Part of the Chicago branch of American trumpet pedogogy, a student of Arnold Jacobs as well. (Vacchiano, Voisin and Nagel would probably be representitive of the NY school. Manny?) She and Charlie replaced Chichowicz at Northwestern when the latter retired, coming full circle. If you throw a horseshoe into a crowd of trumpet players in America, chances are you'll hit a student of hers or Charlie's.

Michael McLaughlin

Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy.
    Samuel Johnson

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Mike,

Only Vacchiano would be a rep from the NY school of playing. Voisin and Nagel each had more individual styles. Voisin was the French school in America and Nagel is representative of a group of legendary freelancers from the east but I've not hear him referred to as NY school. Wilmer knows him better than I and would have a better idea where he "fits" in the scheme of things.

Y'know what? That's a hard thing to define. There's the playing that Glantz and Vacchiano typified and then there's the Broadway style as well. The freelancers had to be responsible for a variety of styles. I don't even think there's a NYC way of playing anymore. People everywhere just like good, solid players they don't have to worry about.

ML

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    She has been one of my greatest influences as well Michael. I am happy for your experiences over the past ten days. I bet inspiration was kicked up to a new level, eh? I was able to spend some time with Barbara last year at ITG and it was great seeing her again. Just that small interaction reignited some of my old fire. (her and Charlie can have that affect on people ;-)) I hope to cross paths with Charlie again soon as well. They both had an incredible influence on me.

At the 2000 ITG I was lucky enough to have about 15 minutes alone sharing conversation with "the retired old trumpeter". I will never forget it. He is such a character and I enjoyed every second of it.

7. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Do any of you know what town in Iowa Barbara is from?
    Bud attended Luther College in Decorah, Iowa but I'm not sure if he was born in Iowa. Anybody know?

8. trpt2345

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    I am still floating. As we parted, Barbara said she was awfully proud of me and all that I have been doing, and that just pierced me to the heart, that's the best compliment I have ever received and the one that has meant the most. I mean, people come by and say, you sound good, etc., and you say, gee, thanks, but it doesn't mean that much because you know when you're on and when you're not. But Barabara saying something like that, wow, it makes you feel like your life isn't a waste. You know what I mean?

Michael McLaughlin

The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

9. trpt2345

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Bud is from Lake Park, Minnesota, born in 1921.

Michael McLaughlin

10. mholliday

mholliday New Friend

Apr 18, 2007
    baltimore, maryland
    I Saw Barbara Butler At A Master Class At Towson State On 4/17. I Was Really Amazed And Impressed By Her Insight As Well As Her Musicality And Ability. She Must Be The Yoda Of The Trumpet World.