Baritone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Calliope, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Calliope

Calliope New Friend

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi Manny,

Have you ever played the baritone in order to improve your trumpet playing? I've heard of this happening in certain corners of the world and wanted to know your take on the subject.

Thanks,
    LJJ

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear LLJ,

No! I've never done that to improve my playing but I've picked one up occasionally just for fun. I know that Tommy Stevens of the LA Philharmonic did so after an accident which had him lay off trumpet for a few weeks and it's my understanding that he did so because he had heard that Bud did the same for the same reason. I'm not sure whether that's true or urban legend.

ML

3. Calliope

Calliope New Friend

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi Manny,

Thanks for the reply. I have witnessed a number of people dramatically improve their trumpet playing by using the baritone as a tool for improvement. Personally, after using the baritone for awhile, my playing has improved in the areas of flexibility, all aspects of breathing, more focused sound, range, endurance, better pitch, more control of dynamics, single tonguing, multiple tonguing, lip slurs, faster/stronger fingers, and more relaxation during playing the trumpet. It really is an amazing tool. Would you be interested in checking it out? I'd love to show it to you.

Take care,
    LJJ

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    LJJ,

Please share your experiences with us... I think the "general playing" area would be perfect for that, as you'd probably reach more players.

Thanks,

ML

5. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Calliope!
    Our teacher here at Texas Tech does that same thing. We all play on baritone to enhance our trumpet playing. It's kewl to hear that it's happenin' in other places as well. Peace.

The Bear

6. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    True dat, Tim....true dat

I was very very much against baritone when our teacher here at TxTech started encouraging us to use it. It can help improve trpt playin by leaps and bounds if it's done correctly....im still fishin with it to figure out how to make it really work for me and maximize my use from it, but already i have seen improvments through the baritone. I try not to be reliant on it, but it IS a very useful tool.

7. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I know that people have used an Alto horn mouthpiece for helping to centert things. I have been doing this for a while. I got it from my former teacher Boyde Hood who, in turn, got it from Bud Herseth. I have found that buzzing on the Alto mp between gigs really helps me get the blood flowing.

8. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    Tuba is even better!!!

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    BBW,

So, do you know if there's any truth to the story that Bud used the euphonium while he was healing from the 1954 accident? And did Tommy Stevens indeed do the same? It'd be great to separate the urban myths form the truth.

ML

10. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm certain that Boyde would know. I will give him a call later on today.