Barrington or Schiller ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gerardo1000, Jun 14, 2009.

1. gerardo1000

gerardo1000 Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    Their student models both cost around $ 250.00 new.
    Is there any forum member who has experience with one of these brands ?
    Thanks !

2. gerardo1000

gerardo1000 Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    OK, I knew that I was going to receive plenty of replies that suggest to avoid both, and I will consider for sure a used trumpet, but... is there anyone who has actually played one of these trumpets, who can give me a feedback based on a real experience ?
    Thanks !

3. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    I have a Barrington flugelhorn. The bell is very thin, if you squeeze it it flexes visibly. Valves corroded up pretty hard over the course of a year. They never seized though, just look rough, I used Ultra Pure on them. They look like nickel plate. Intonation was not bad, a little bit of third valve trigger is normal.

Construction of the horn was pretty solid. Nice solder on joints and tight fit ups. Nice and clean inside too.

I would recommend buying an older used horn with a reputable name though, for longevity and dependability. You can't go wrong with an Ambassador or a TR-300.

I only tried the flugel because I couldn't touch the price even buying used. I payed $269 at WWBW, now I think they are over $450.

I hope this helps, try pawn shops for some crazy deals. Mike Graham

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Save your cash, go with a used horn. Anything else will be better than one of those.

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    All this negativism! I have an 07 Barrington BRG 101 and have played it extensively. It is a good quality instrument in all respects. I and many others have entered favorable reviews on WWBW. I think it is comparable, so far, to my old Besson 8-10 and newer Besson 609. It is Tiawanese made. The main issue would be if you needed replacement parts, which I haven't. Some think Jupiter has a hand in making Barringtons. With the mysterious east, who knows. Just my opinion.

Schillers have been discussed in other threads, I believe.