basic instructional material

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chesley, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Hi,

I'm new here. I introduced myself in the Instructions forum

I will be acquiring my new trumpet Saturday in Texas and intend to start practicing Tuesday when I arrive back in Alabama.

I bought the Hal Leonard Essential Elements book to get started. What other method recommendations can any of you guys give an older beginner. I'm thinking a good warm up book. I intend to start right. I'll probably get the Arban's platinum edition for Christmas. It's what I am going to suggest to my loved ones.

Thanks for your help

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Get a hymnbook. 700+ easy tunes with built in instructions for performance. Start with "power and glory" before "sorrow and repentence". The alto part is also good for building low chops.

Very easy to find a cooperative audience.

3. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    As it happens, I have half-a-dozen of those. :-)

Excellent advice, thanks.

4. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    as far as the hymn book suggestion....
    memorize a scale like C major, then play tunes from the hymn in that key. Then move on to B flat major and do the same thing. This will reinforce your knowledge of that scale.

5. Chesley

Chesley New Friend

Jun 20, 2011
    Good advice. Thanks

6. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    Hi,
    I have always found the old 'Tune-A-Day' books to be a great starting point for anyone beginning their trumpet playing adventures. There are two volumes (you are better off getting the older editions - i'm sure there are plenty of 2nd hand ones around) that will give you a solid foundation if you work your way steadily through them. Once you are through these there is an old method by Bud Brisbois called 'Trumpet Today' that is fantastic for building your technique - you can probably find a copy as a pdf somewhere on the web.
    Accompany these technical methods by playing music that you enjoy! Try playing along with recordings, just having fun and experimenting. The hymn books are also great, as are countless other anthologies of various styles of music. Always remember that the music is what it's about.
    It is vitally important that whatever way you get started do so with the mentorship of a good teacher if you can find one!
    All the best!