Bb rotary question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JLSmith526, Nov 10, 2010.

1. JLSmith526

JLSmith526 Pianissimo User

Feb 16, 2010
    So this is going to be a really stupid question. But are the fingerings the same on a Bb rotary as they are on a Bb piston?

I'm considering playing part of my juries piece on a rotary Bb from our studio, but after playing it, the correct pitches aren't coming out when I use Bb piston fingerings.

My mouthpieces are cut slightly smaller to fit correctly into a schilke horn, but I don't think that would be the culprit.

Any help is appreciated.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    If it isn't a picc or different keyed horn, yes, they are the same.

3. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Perhaps you have a rotary in C. If you're not familiar with the shape of the instrument it could be easy to mistake a Bb for a C.

How about if you play a G on a Bb piston trumpet, and tell us what fingering you need to play the same pitch on the rotary. That could give us a clue as to what's going on.

I think you are correct that the problem is not the mouthpiece.

Edit: I just noticed the list of trumpets you already have, which includes a C, so I apologize if my suggestion is too basic.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  4. JLSmith526

Feb 16, 2010
    I just checked the model, it is a Bb, so I grabbed the right horn.

I'm wondering, it wasn't used in years, and the rotors were all frozen so it had to get flushed, so I wonder if something is making it not play correctly.

5. JLSmith526

Feb 16, 2010
    I'm wondering if a rotor is backwards, I'm not seeing light through the leadpipe unless I hold down 1 and 3, and that is the only way I can play the open pitches.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Even backward rotors will not be a problem - they are symmetrical. The length of the valve slides is comparable and the fingerings are exactly the same. If you don't get along with the horn, there is no advantage to using it.

7. JLSmith526

Feb 16, 2010
    backwards rotors are a problem, for the fact that the leadpipe is closed off unless you press down 1,3 (which are the two that are backwards). So it screws with all of the fingerings.

It is currently being sent back to the shop to be fixed (the school has to send it to the shop, so that they get the bill).

Then the rotors are not backwards, they must be shifted 90°. That is a cool trick, considering the precision of the mechanism, hardly explainable. Rotors have slots on opposing sides and a notched top for the linkage. That is done specifically to prevent what you posted.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010
  8. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    I have a Scherzer rotary. The 1st and 3rd rotors rotate in opposite directions. I suggest that someone has swapped 1st and 3rd rotors.