Bb Slot? / Arpeggios C - G

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I was practicing today, and as usual, I warm up every register possible. I started with my low register, then to my middle register, and then to my upper register. But as I started my upper register, I notice that my C arpeggio had this one note in it, that I didn't want. The arpeggio had the notes; C, E, G, c, e, g, Bb, c. I don't know why, but it seems to slot in the Bb pretty well.

Every single time that Bb slots in. I tried playing faster...didn't work. I tried even playing louder, I thought I might work somehow?! But it didn't.

Oh and yes, I am slurring all the arpeggios. The only way that Bb comes out is if I slur.

But here's a video of what I'm talking about. Forget all the mistakes that you hear, minus the Bb slip though.

C - G Arpeggio video by TDG1919 - Photobucket

2. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    Schlossberg uses these harmonics a lot in his daily drills. If I want to play from the g to the c I really try to hear the pitch in my head, I like to have control over both using it and leaving it out when slurring. This harmonic exists in all 7 of the trumpet "bugle" calls. ( open; 2nd valve only; 1st valve only; 1st and 2nd valve and so on.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The Bb is the 6th partial of the harmonic series based off pressing no valves down. It is supposed to be there. Slur past it if you don't want to include it in your warm up.

4. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    That's what I mean. I was wondering if it was at all possible for that partial to not come out. I always have the "pitch" in my head before I play it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  5. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Yes, it is possible, and desirable (in that you must be able to avoid playing it if it is not wanted in the phrase).