Bb trumpet and transposing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Usb, Aug 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Albeit a crooked crutch. I acquired a C trumpet when playing a regular jam session which had only C charts. The intonation felt so bizzare to my poor old Bb brain that I went back to the Bb horn and transposing the very next week. It was easier to transpose - a conscious process, than to play the C horn and battle with the sub-concious mind wanting to pull notes a tone lower.:-)

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    All it takes is practice and a little more familiarity with the horn...

3. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    it seems like you can play in any key on any trumpet you want or have, but if you want to read music at sight in more than one key, that pesky word "practice" keeps popping up.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Pesky, Repetitive, Annoying, Capricious, Troublesome, Impossible, Commitment, Endless

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks Dale. You're right. It took more than just practice - the secret for me was a few days playing nothing but the C horn.

Now I'm pretty much as imperfect on C as Bb!

6. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    yeah, but consistency is a good thing.

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I don't play C trumpet much any more...maybe one or two gigs a year these days. I did play it heavily for about 5 years straight many moons ago. I just dug it out and oiled it up tonight - I agreed to play a performance of Suite for Brass, Organ and Percussion by Craig Phillips next month. Time to work the C chops a bit. :D

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Equally mediocre in every task. Just kidding, mate. I feel I am fairly proficient in many disciplines, as far as work is concerned, and I take it as one of the biggest insults when someone says:"jack of all trades, and master of none" I know they mean no harm, but a jack is about the lowest form of skill you can have in any particular trade. To say: "you don't know jack" means, at least here in the states, that you don't know anything.......anyway. Got a little side-tracked.
    Where's the pet peeves thread????????:lol: