BBC Proms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bloomin Untidy Musician, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    If you didn't see it, there was a stunning proms concert last on BBC4. It was the Berlin Philharmonic with Sir Simon Rattle playing Brahms 4 and Shostakovich 10!!! Bloody superb!! There isn't a section in that Orchestra that isn't absolutely stunning and electrifying!!!
    It always makes me giggle when i see there principal trumpet player playing. He absolutely throws the embouchure rule book out the window. A serious side embouchure man! I think that this has been my favourite proms concert so far. It will be interesting to hear the Venezualan Youth Orchestra play this week also.

For those of you that don't know, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra is playing Mahler no.6 tonight!!!!!!! I don't know this symphony well but i am sure it will be worth a watch.

Can you watch the BBC Proms in the States?

Cheers B.U.M.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    BUM,

Do you have a BBC link to the concert podcast? As far as I know, some of the podcast are available exclusively to UK users...let's hope that this is not the case.

3. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
  4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Thanks! I have been a fan of the Proms for many years, but have precious few videos or recordings! The i link doesn't work outside the UK for video, according to the BBC4 site, but the radio does. Will check that out. Chicago is a great orchestra and you will enjoy it. I looked at the line up the Last Night on the 13th and it looks great . My wife and I often wish we could be singing "Rule Britannia" etc on the floor of the Albert Hall, waving the Union Jack. We are mostly British ancestry and anglophiles. Ticket prices are pretty steep on the high end. Cheers!

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I was at the proms the other week, and it was only 5 pounds for standing up in the center floor. We were only a couple of meters from the conductors. The ticket prices are deliberately low, because Sir Henry Wood wanted quality music to be heard by the masses at an affordable price. However you can get the seriously expensive seats with a bar service included.
    Another example of "Us and them."

Although it is great to hear the concerts live, and experience the proms "buzz." The acoustic is terrible (certainly from where i was standing) at the Royal Albert Hall!!! The strings and woodwind got absolutely lost and were drowned by the brass and percussion. Although it is nowhere near is fun, you get a better mix of sound on the tv. However, the recording engineers had big problems controlling there compressors with some of the firey Berlin Phil sounds last night.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    :bash: My internet connection seems to be too slow for the streaming audio...is there a way to download the file?

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I don't know about seeing any of the Proms on the tube here in the states. A couple of America Public media programs are playing them. Performance Today has been playing highlights for the past month and Symphony Cast has been playing broadcasts from the Proms using the BBC feed. On Minnesota Public Radio Symphony Cast is on Thursday nights at 8:00 PM CST. You can listen on-line Minnesota Public Radio. To find out the schedule SymphonyCast from American Public Media

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  8. Altius

Altius New Friend

Jul 15, 2010
    Hi, BBC Proms are eight week continuous concert presented at the Albert hall in South Kensington, London. Check the details..

BBC Proms 2010