BBM buys a piccolo trumpet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by BrassBandMajor, Mar 20, 2017.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Great news everybody! The Chinese or Indian Dark side horns did not pull me in this time!

I bought a vintage Couesnon Monopole Piccolo Trumpet! (Triebert Moderne, export name for Couesnon said by multiple trumpeters and Steve Dillard). Its a Triebert Moderne, 42071, Made in France, piccolo trumpet. I have high hopes for this trumpet and hope to learn about piccolo trumpets.

Steve Dillard said he used it in his high school years and used it in a musical production. I got it for around 400 US dollars including shipping, probably because it wasn't named Couesnon. It has a 3rd slide ring, the valves are in very immaculate condition. On the bell is a hideous badly scratched? like engraving of 'School District #91', by search I think it was used in the British Columbian region school. I will contact the seller for more info. It comes with one tuning bit and its original hard-case.

I am pretty proud of this win but can anyone recommend me an ideal mouthpiece to go with this horn? I may ask Blackburn or Charlie Melk to do a custom leadpipe for this, or James Becker of Osmun Music (he said he was happy to do it in an old TH thread). I know amzi here has one.

It doesn't seem to be a loveable or tameable beast but Maurice Andre was surprised by its tone colour and projection. The famous Penny Lane solo was done on this very same model by David Mason.

:-) I am very happy and look forward for its arrival.

[​IMG]

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I had one, (Couesnon) but I sold it and replaced it with a Kanstul. Hard choice to make and sometimes I still regret doing it, but I was playing music I really needed a 4th valve on. I had both tuning bits and found it played better in A. I also found the horn really easy to overblow so take it easy. When everything was right it was a real joy to play and could sound really sweet. Though I am making a change now, at that time I was playing everything on a Schilke with a 13A4 rim. I used both A and C cup depths depending on how long I was going to have to stay above high "C". Great horn, just stay in the 3 valve range and you'll be fine.

3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Very nice horn - and quite the find at that price given the condition described.

Given what you say in your last paragraph, why would you already be planning to modify such a horn? If what you are getting is capable of such tone quality, it makes no sense to tinker and change that. We alter horns when they are not meeting our needs and we can quantify why and how to correct that. You have not even played it yet. Wait until you have the horn, and have spent several weeks getting to know one another - only then can you reasonably asses if you want to, or should, alter a horn in some way.

As for MP, your life as a multi-instrumentalist will be easier if you don't add more complexity to the mix, so staying in the same maker as what you use for trumpet and cornet will help you. Some folks use the same rim with different cups across all their horns, others will go smaller on pic. You, and your teacher, should experiment a bit and see what appears to work best. Remember, we're all unique.

4. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    New Zealand
    Thanks for the tip OldSchoolEuph. You are correct about that.

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Oh dear... you seem to be going in the deep end. Marvellous that instrument surely is (and at that price, too!), it is certain to throw you into deep despair at the beginning. Any picc will do that, because, as another picc starter who recently bought a new Bach Artisan picc so accurately put it, you will at first sound "like a dying flamingo". Beginners' piccs like the student model Yammies try and atone for that in their construction; but not that Couesnon/Triebert. In many parts you will find the lack of a fourth valve very annoying... yet if you persevere, it will finally bring you amazing results.

As to mouthpiece: Don't go for anything fancy (and expensive) at the beginning. You will have to change around until you find your ideal combination, and that will take even longer than on the big Bb. It took me all of four years and altogether six mouthpieces to realize I was - again - best off with the Stomvi Combination System... Advantage - same rim as usual, and I can change the cup to wherever I please. So I should suggest that you don't fiddle with rim size and get yourself a cheap clone mouthpiece of the same rim shape as your usual workhorse mpc, but with the shallowest cup they can offer. So, if you're playing a Bach 3c, get yourself a 3E,. but not from Bach, but from Stoelzel (their mpcs are good Bach clones at a quarter the price).

6. Rickyroughneck

Rickyroughneck Pianissimo User

Apr 22, 2012
    Nice acquirement! Why would you be suggesting a ($$$) leadpipe change before you have even played it? Wouldn't the trumpet already come with an optimised leadpipe?

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    BBM I feel sorry for you ROFL You'll become one of those piccolo freaks :shock: with no low register chops ROFL Personally I never played a Cuesnon picc. I remember I very much liked a French Besson picc I had on loan from Spada for some time. To me it was much nicer than any Schilke I tried.

Good luck with this new endeavour. Don't neglect the big horns :roll: As mentioned, first have a taste of the little evil horn just as is, so you may know what to change, if anything.

8. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Mountain West, USA
    I might be the Daisy Downer here, but this is not an easy instrument to learn on. I learned on a Yamaha and Schilke, and it was still tough. Most pros would agree that these Couesons are downright tough to play. Better than a Chinese horn for sure, but not easy at all.

9. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Do you know for sure if it has a trumpet MP taper or cornet?

And, oh yes, you are in for an experience!!

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I never liked playing pic - it's just one of those things that takes some time to get used to, and I was never good at switching back and forth between it and Bb. Mine was a Besson short model pic, and it wasn't a bad pic either - I bought it from Bob Birch, and he'd had it for a while, so if it was good enough for Bob, then it was probably pretty solid. (He sold it to me because he'd gotten a Scherzer rotary valve pic that he preferred.) Typical of many people first trying to learn to play pic, I tended to over-blow it.

BBM, I hope you wind up getting some good use out of that trumpet. Looking back, I'm not sure if I ever performed even once using mine in the time I had it.

Keep us posted on how it's working out for you.