BE as Calisthenics?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by uatrmpt, Dec 9, 2005.

1. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I've been doing BE off and on for a couple of months now and have noticed that the RI exercises seem to produce a feeling somewhat similar to Caruso's Six Notes or other techniques, such as the pencil exercise.

When I do the Roll In exercises with the nose breathing, I'm keeping my chops set throughout the entire range and I don't release them until the end of that particular page. I can't seem to recall anything in the text about whether or not to reset in between "phrases" (which the nose breathing would negate), but I also don't recall anything about relaxing the embouchure or not during the nose breathing.

So, my two questions are this:
    1) Relax the embouchure or not during the nose breathing?
    2) Was the calisthenic nature which occurs if you don't relax during the nose breathing an intended thing, or just a happy coincidence? Either way, it seems to be a benefit.

Thanks,
    Matt

(Crossposted from TH due to lack of response over there)

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Schlossberg

Clarke

Irons

Arban

Charlier

Scales and Chords

Good trumpet practice!!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    BE, RI, RO, TOL, TLC, RKO, TKO, TOKYO, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSN, MSNBC, PMS, and don't forget PB&J.

ML

4. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    I get my Schlossberg during my daily maintenence routine, along with various lip slurs. Lately, I've been using Irons more for the double tonguing stuff in the back than anything. As far as the others, I've got a healthy dose of recital lit on my plate, but they'll return if I ever get to play what I want to again.

Mainly, I use BE at the end of my day to help reset all of the damage I've done throughout the day so that the next day won't be so rough. Perhaps you band director folks can let me know how to manage student teaching and keeping the chops in shape. I start my internship the third week of January!

5. Greg5850

Greg5850 Pianissimo User

Jan 10, 2004
    WI
    Matt, to keep in shape when teaching; play for the kids, play along with the kids, demonstrate for the kids, use your axe during rehearsal instead of singing.
    Play along with everyone too, transpose for horn, tuba, trombone, alto sax, etc. Some days you will get lots of playing in--some days not.

I think much of the learning of style, phrasing, breathing, articulation, etc. can be facilitated by the students hearing it done. When your parents taught you to talk they didn't describe how to shape your mouth to produce different sounds, they demonstrated and you copied. I think that concept has an important place in music ed.

So play away, keep in shape and shape young minds!

Greg

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    :shock:

I wouldnt let myself get that beat up. If I do push things a bit to much I will pull of getchell. Do it really soft and down a 4th, seems to be a good warm down for me. I think BE is a waste of your time.

As far as keeping in shape while teaching, I practice an hour during my planning period if I am caught up on all my paper work. Then two sessions after school once I get home.

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    "I think BE is a waste of your time."

I totally agree.....

8. Ralph

Ralph Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
  9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003