Be Prepared!

Discussion in 'Wise Talk!' started by wiseone2, Oct 16, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    The upcoming New York Philharmonic auditions, and the questions about preparation for them is an interesting topic.

To play well at those auditions a player must know the music intimately.
    When I played my first professional audition the music was not easy to come by. There were only FIVE International excerpt books, two Wagner books, and a Strauss book. If you were really lucky you had "Die Trompette" of Herman Pietzsch.
    I copied by hand lots of the repertoire that was unavailable in books. This was before I played my first audition.
    I was first trumpet in every community orchestra in Philly and the nearby Jersey cities. I knew the music by memory. I once played an audition for a conductor completely by memory, it was for a big gig. I did not get it, for it was in the early sixties.

The bottom line is that there are players who are prepared to play an audition at the drop of a hat. They know the tunes and can play them.
    I met Ed Carroll, Wynton Marsalis and Manny Laureano when they were young players........they were killers.
    Don't think about audioning if YOU aren't one :cool:
    Wilmer

2. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    OOOOHHHHHH, fire burn! :-o

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Wilmer,
    You sure you aren't taking the audition? Sounds like you're trying to get rid of some of the competition... :bleah: Just kidding. Very good advice though.
    -Jimi

4. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Yea wilmer gotta dig the tough love man :D

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    What would be the worst thing that could happen?

You go into a room and play badly and don't get the job.
    It's not the end of the world and it gives experience for the next audition.

I don't see how they would remember you from one audition to another unless something happens way out of the ordinary. The people behind the screen are just that, people, like you and I. You never know what they will hear in your playing or what they are looking for.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    B15M,
    They probably won't remember you from one audition to the next, but here's the thing: you're going to put a lot of time and effort into an audition that, judging from your other posts, you feel that you do not have a shot to win. Besides time and effort, theres also transportation, a hotel in Manhatten, etc.
    My advice to you would be to practice like your taking the New York Phil audition, and then go play a local audition. Boston is great because there are so many top quality orchestras right there. Have you done the Hingham sub list audition? Or New Bedford? North Shore Phil? Boston Phil? These would all be great places to start. If you're already a regular sub or a permanent member of one of those, go for the Boston Pops/Esplanade cattle call auditions. If you're getting called by the Pops/Esplanade, then maybe start looking at the NYP. My question is: why go to New York for a "learning experience" when there are plenty in your own backyard?
    -Jimi

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I forgot, they do that behind the screen thing.
    I DO know what they are looking for.
    They are looking for artistic performance at the highest level. They are looking for players who know what they are doing, and can do it under the most intense scrutiny imaginable. Your playing is examined with a microscope. If you think you can cut it, go. If not, don't waste everyone's time. Audition only when you feel you can win, not just to say you were there!
    That's the way I think about auditions.
    Wilmer

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't know where you think I live but New York is not that far for me. I can take a commuter train and be in the city in about an hour or so. Last time I did an audition at Lincoln Center I had to do the train, no biggie but the cab was another story and it was pouring rain. Anyway Boston is about three hours by car. I watch the paper every month for a place to play.

I have not made up my mind what I'm going to do but it could only help my playing.

There are a couple of things to consider. The committee could get aggravated listing to people like me time after time and react badly to someone that has a good shot or I could make it to the finals and get embarrassed.

The music for the first two rounds is not bad at all and they tell you everything you are expected to play.

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    B15 - you cannot lose anything by preparing for this audition. You will learn a lot in the process and what you learn will be valuable for the next audition you take. It is all about how much you want it. You have to chose to make a commitment NOW and work toward it. Doing that alone will teach you TONS. It takes your ears up a few notches which never hurts.

Good luck.

10. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    Maybe we can send tapes to you and you can screen them, letting us know if we will be wasting their time or not?

......how do you know when you become a "killer?"

romey