Be Thankful If You Can Play

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Feb 29, 2016.

1. bamajazzlady

bamajazzlady Mezzo Forte User

May 16, 2011
    Be thankful if you can play with no medical issues or in spite of medical issues, depending on what they are. I miss the instrument I originally wanted to begin on.

misty.sj likes this.
  2. Fluegel-Boy

Fluegel-Boy Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2013
    Here's hoping that you will be able to return to it soon!

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is a lot to be thankful for. TrumpetMasters have worldwide access to friends, help from unusual sources and as of recently, even an event to call all our own!

Even having the internet is something many of us can be thankful for!

4. anthony

anthony Mezzo Piano User

Mar 3, 2009
    Yes Rowuk I have learned quite a bit since TrumpetMaster
    has been around.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Well, you've got a sympathetic ear here, bamajazzlady. If I remember correctly, this has almost been a Don Quixote type quest for you, with not only health problems, but problems finding a teacher and having some transportation challenges.

I really don't know what to say. If it were me at this point, I'd probably just move on to another instrument. Over the years, I have played seriously, trumpet, French Horn, saxes, flute, recorder, penny whistles and probably some others I can't recall at the moment. In one way or another, I've really enjoyed them all. The musical situations are mostly different, techniques different, advantages and disadvantages different. Enough things of interest to last a lifetime.

Health problems have made me move from one instrument to another, at times. In the last four or so years, I've had a back operation, a neck operation and a lung operation. I've had sudden loss of sight, a punctured ear drum, as well as fighting several life-threatening diseases. There just seems to be no end to it. So at this stage, I just pick something that I can do and spend time doing it with, unfortunately, lowered expectations. But with the anticipation that I'm going to enjoy it, no matter what "it" is.

I don't know if there's anything here useful that you can use but thought I'd share what I could. Here's wishing you perseverance, patience and better health.

6. Dalecon

Dalecon New Friend

Feb 26, 2016
    Ottawa
    I've not had anything major preventing me from playing but I do say I had to learn how to play 3 times, 4 if you count my comeback experience. Braces were a challenge to get used to, I remember my lips used to hurt so much, but having the braces removed was equally a challenge once I had adjusted to having them. I love playing and it is true, one must be thankful for music in general, being able to produce something that sounds like it is a bonus.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that anyone who can take on any instrument and bring themselves to a level of proficiency where they can perform music comfortably should be thankful for the blessings that have been bestowed upon them.

Having been in the game this long, I often find myself lamenting over the things that I might not be good at, but easily forget that I regularly perform at a level many people will never attain, and it's good to remind myself now and again just how lucky I've been because not everyone who puts in the work gets the same kinds of results.

I'm also glad that I decided years ago to cultivate another instrument and passion - drums! It's good to know that if something should occur somewhere down the road - Bell's Palsy, dental problems, etc, I don't have all my eggs in one basket and I can continue to gig with others and continue to make music, because above all else, I'm a musician at heart.