Beacon Musical Company

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Heavens2kadonka, May 20, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Sent : Tuesday, May 17, 2005 10:49 AM
    To : [email protected]
    Subject : Enquiry From New York Trumpet Company Website

To whom it may concern,
    I have found a trumpet from the Beacon Musical Instrument Co. Boston Ma. I cannot find any information anywhere, as the company seems to have gone out of business. The trumpet is in a velvet case the original, the instrument itself if in very good shape as it has been in the case for years, the valves and slides work, but as I stated I can't find any information on the piece. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.

Regards

Any ideas, guys?

Van

2. joe7red

joe7red Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2010
    upstate ny
    I just acquired a Beacon trumpet, Boston MA because I was told they were made by Getzen. Mine looks like a Getzen 90 minus the art deco cladding. Anyone have any thoughts or info?

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    It will be hard to determine exactly what stencils Getzen may have made in the past. Their records were destroyed in a fire back in 1963, I think.
    Maybe you could post some photos from a site like photobucket, Flicr, etc?

4. joe7red

joe7red Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2010
    upstate ny
    I've learned that Beacon was a large music store somewhere in New England and Getzen made their horns for several years up to about 1975 or so. My horn is a cross of the Deluxe 90 and the Elkhorn 290 and plays similar to the 90 and still have the durable Getzen valves.