Beatboxing on a trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jurandr, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Jurandr

Jurandr Pianissimo User

Feb 23, 2008
    Illinois
  2. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    It is impossible, because the tone on a trumpet is produced by a combination of air and a buzz as well at a very tight embrochure. The flute basically just requires you to have the correct shape of mouth so that the air will go in at the right angle to produce a tone (which is really not too hard when one gets used to it).
    Even if it is possible to beat box while playing the trumpet, you would have to be able the pull the trumpet onto you mouth and play a tone the split second it contacts your mouth.

3. RaeRayMusic

RaeRayMusic New Friend

Feb 12, 2008
    Carmel
    Yea. I'm pretty sure it's impossible. It's easier on a flute because to beatbox because the wind from that can actually be put though the instrument or something like that. One of my friends was explaining that to me and I wasn't really payin attention. But yea. Trumpets and flutes, two different things. But hey. Trumpets are already cool to begin with right? :cool:

4. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I don't think it's impossible, just extremely hard. Now if you have heard Dallas Brass' tuba, he is amazing at it. Here is a link on you tube, Granted it is 10 times more impressive to hear it live. He uses the technique of multi-phonics.
    YouTube - Nat McIntosh - The Warrior Comes Out To Play

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria

Don't forget that tuba mouthpiece is much bigger than the trumpet and there is much more room to do whatever...even double tones are much easier to get...

6. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Yes, I am aware of that, but it still doesn't mean it is impossible for us to do it.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You can hum and play at the same time to get chords. With a bit of creativity, maybe you can come up with something even BETTER!