Beauty and the Beast

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HoboTrumpet, Oct 3, 2006.

1. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    Morning all,

Just a quick question: does the show “Beauty and the Beast†have a decent trumpet part(s)? I received a frantic call from a local high school choir director last night asking me to help them out with the pit in a couple weeks. Just wanted to know what I’m getting in to before I commit. Any comments, questions, suggestions or observations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Andy

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Depending on which version of the show (actually, what "pit" instrumentation) they will use, you will need tpt, flugel and perhaps pic.

This will get you started with snippets of the tunes, however I suggest going to pick up the soundtrack (make sure it's the Broadway version, not the movie) and give it a listen. That is always extremely helpful.

http://www.mtishows.com/show_songs.asp?ID=000262

Have fun!

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  4. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    If it's the two trumpet version (Broadway), it's semi-challenging. There is tpt., cornet & picc.) I believe the road version has one trumpet, and is fairly difficult.

I would also try to contact James Dellagarza. He took my place on the Broadway show, and travelled with the one tpt. book for a few years.

TK

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Come on guys. Lets get some spaces in there for that last name.

De La Garza is going to be pissed :lol:

6. aneel

aneel Pianissimo User

Sep 28, 2006
    vienna
    We played it in vienna 10 years ago, both parts needed
    trumpet,cornet,flugel and picc.

7. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  8. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Show yourself James!

9. HoboTrumpet

HoboTrumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    New Ulm, MN
    Many thanks for all the responses. B and B sounds like it would be a quality experience. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't showing up for three hours of afterbeats or something! I've played for this choir director before, and it can be challenging to sit through his rehearsals/concerts. The last engagement I played for him was for part of the Mess-iah, and during dress rehearsal about half the kids were watching/checking the Vikings game on their cell phones. We'd be going along and all of the sudden someone would shriek or swear at the top of their lungs. We'd stop, he'd have everyone shush up a minute, and then keep going. Definitely one of those situations where you just have to sit back and reflect on why chaos made it into the dictionary.

10. BAM

BAM New Friend

Oct 26, 2003
    JAMES - for the love of God, throw them a bone!