Becoming a Better Player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rdines, Jun 4, 2006.

1. rdines

rdines New Friend

Jun 4, 2006
    Norway
    Hi All

The things I'm looking to do is increase my range, stamina and power.

My range is generally fine but I struggle to pitch a top D (above top C) comfortabley. Is there anything I can do to get it (i) more secure and possibly (ii) go higher?

My sound is good, I have a fine tone but my sound becomes hard when I increase my volume. I need the sound to become bigger not louder.

Can anyone give me some helpful advice? I'm hoping for techniques, reading material etc.

Thanks in advance. I hope my English is ok.

2. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    rdines,

first, your English is great. Better than some Americans I know. :-?

anyway. Regarding tone: I recommend listening to some great players. There are a lot of great players on the Monette site (google it).

In terms our power/endurance, I recommend Walter Smith's Top Tones, and the Schilke power exercises (not sure where you can get them now)

Listen, listen, listen

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Your English is excellent, don't worry.
    As we say in English, Rome wasn't built in a day. Return to the fundamentals every day, good breathing, relaxation, flexibility. The more you delve into fundamental aspects the higher you go, in my experience. Advanced Lip Flexibilities from Charles Colin, the Clarke Techincal Studies. But really there are many avenues. If you set up a routine that you enjoy, that will get you to where you want to go eventually, then every day is a pleasure, you are walking on the road towards the thing you love. It takes a long time. Get a good teacher and it will make your task easier. Find the best trumpet player in your area and ask her or him to teach you, and you will get a lot of good information. In general you have to make your life better in order to become better as a trumpet player and musician, your playing reflects your life.

Michael McLaughlin

"What is the secret of the trick? How did I get so old so quick?" Ogden Nash

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I agree with the other posters..

Fundementals are what is going to get you there.

I use mouthpiece buzzing and a B.E.R.P. for tone and as far as increasing the upper register I just play there as long as I can.

Spend a lot of time with Arban's and Clarke's these are the things that will get you where you want to go.

Search this site there have been many topics posted on the very questions you are asking.

Best to you and Welcome! :cool:

5. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Remember that range, stamina, and power all come from efficient playing. You build this up with what I consider as the "great trinity" of trumpet books: Arban Complete Conservatory Method, Schlossberg Daily Drills and Technical Studies, and Clarke Technical Studies.

Do not try to force or rush your development. Practice those studies and skills at a soft dynamic level, in a range that you play comfortably and relaxed. You need to first establish that relaxed open playing approach as a foundation for efficiency.

Find a good teacher...the best you can find to guide you through those books. Fundamentls, fundamentals, fundamentals.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The things you are wishing for require a strong and efficient embouchure. Tonguing and slurring exercises are ways to gain strength, and extremely quiet practice helps efficiency a whole lot. We’re talking here about ppppp on everything from long tones to Clarke studies. In order to play so softly we need a small aperture and strong muscles to make it work. If you have a loud high c or d and it “cuts off†higher than that, your aperture is too large for the tone you are trying to hit. Practice a diminuendo on your high tones to help build control. Mouthpiece buzzing intervals, tunes, whatever can help our accuracy (it is a good idea to allow a little glissando between the notes. Have fun!