Becoming A Professional Trumpet Player

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetaddict, Jun 27, 2011.

1. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Trumpetaddict, join a regional youth group that has a high musical standard. There happens to be one in your area.

About BYO

It should be a high priority for you to get into a group like this as quickly as possible.

Once you see how good the other students are, and if you have what it takes, your progress will increase rapidly.

Another advantage to joining a group like this is that you probably will quickly find out from the other players that, contrary to your belief, there actually are fine instructors in Southeastern Virginia.

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    If classical is your thing, I think getting a college degree in performance is a must. Someone else here please chime in on that. And if that's the case, then the first thing you should do real quick, above and beyond what others have said about practicing, teachers, etc., is start looking seriously at music programs at various colleges, see what they require to get in. You don't have to go to Julliard to be a profesisonal player. There are plenty of schools that have good music programs. Once you're in, it'll be up to you to work hard and make something of yourself.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    If you can't find a pro player/ teacher close enough to get to, try Skype lessons. You will need to be good enough to get into a good music school and go for a degree in music performance. You'll need at least an undergraduate degree to be taken seriously and a lot of pros have at least a master's

4. trumpetaddict

trumpetaddict New Friend

Sep 3, 2010
    @hup_d_dup i used to play for an organization similar BYU its called the Hamptin Roads Youth Wind Ensemble.

5. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    11th grade is very late to get serious about trumpet. These days only the best of the best can make a living performing and even then there are many more accomplished players than jobs. Check out the National Trumpet Competition videos on YouTube to gauge how you compare to the performance level of your high school peers. I think Noah Dugan won the high school division this year with the Jolivet Concertino if you want some search terms.

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    That's excellent. If it's a good group you should continue with it.

However, the literature and playing style for orchestra is very different than it is for wind ensemble, and that's true even when wind ensembles play orchestral transcriptions. If you're aiming for a classical career you should be playing symphonic music.

7. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH

I disagree with this statement. If he puts his mind to it and practices a lot he can make it--as long as he has the talent. He's got 2 years of high school left.

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I don't know about the USA, but back in Ireland some mates of mine joined the army so they could play with the army brass and reed band, which in turn gave them training and a leg into professional orchestral music when they finished with the military. That was back in the early 80's so perhaps the bar to entry has changed since then.

--bumblebee

9. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    One of the first things I would suggest..(that is if you haven't done this already) is to develop sound practice habits and a practice routine to build your chops. Something that is comfortable for your set-up and one that will work for you. This routine should be done daily and separate from any other practicing you need classical/jazz/studio etc. This is where a teaching can help you with. ..Where in southeast VA do you live? If you live near Hampton Roads (Norfolk, VA beach, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Hampton, Newport News) there are ALOT of outstanding professional military trumpet musicians from the Navy Band in Norfolk, Langely A.F Band and the Continental Band @ Ft Monroe, not to mention the US Navy School of Music has outstanding musicians from the Navy, Army and Marines that can help you. Then you have the Virginia Symphony and Old Dominion University that can help you out.

But first you should establish a routine while you are still in school and young. It is hard to find the same practice when you get older. :play:

10. duanemassey

duanemassey Piano User

Jul 14, 2009
    Houston
    Maybe learn to double on banjo?

How do you rate against your fellow players where you are? How natural does the instrument and music feel to you? Are you self-disciplined enough to do the daily grind, and remained focused? I wasn't, and I'm glad I decided in college not to pursue a career as a trumpeter.

It is a difficult career, and you should be prepared for everything you've read here. If you are convinced that this is your calling, then start now to prepare for college, and aim for a serious music school, not a local party college.