Been Away From Playing For Awhile

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    So I had a little bout with cancer, and haven't played in a few months- as, if wasn't sleeping, I was working or being microwaved. I picked up my horns yesterday and I had a few observations:

1. My Xeno is a very inferior horn to my Connstellation 28b- but I already knew that.
    2. My Warburton 1MD felt like a cavern

SOOOOOO

3. I slipped in my custom ACB lead piece and wailed up high for about 20 minutes before it all fell apart, and the fact I could do that surprised the hell out me! I think Trent got that MP right!

So, here's the point:

Should I just suck it up and play through on the 1MD until my chops come back? Should I use the lead piece until my chops come back? Or, should I use my modified middle-of-the-road Bach 1D (flatter rim, cup at 3c depth) before I go to either specialty MP- albeit the legit piece, or the lead piece?

Advice?

PS: I'm thinking common sense says use the middle-of-the-road piece...But, every time I've come back from some roadblock I usually beat myself into shape on the biggest MP possible.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    My personal, yet controversial opinion is use the Warburton. My thought here is that you'll have two adjustment periods instead of one if you use the modified Bach. If you do decide to use the Warburton, start with only 5-10 minutes sessions twice a day (if possible) and bump it up as you are able. I would stay away from the lead piece for a few weeks.

3. tomb

tomb New Friend

Nov 7, 2009
    Sydney
    I agree with Da Trump and don't think it's controversial advice at all.

I would stick with the 1 MD and take it slowly. It may take longer but there won't be a transition stage later on either.

I've just had nearly 10 years off and am playing a .666 size much like my old mouthpiece. Even though things might be easier on a modern Bach 3c, I know it will feel too small later (well, even now actually),so would rather exercise a bit of patience and do things slowly and properly the first time. I'm sure things will be much easier for you in that regard.

BTW, I wish you all the best with your health.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm not going to offer advice but what I will say is I am glad you are on the mend and playing again, best of luck Pal

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Great to see you back and playing. I think you should go with your gut. When I switched to the GR from my Bach 3c my range and endurance suffered but the tone I achieved was so superior I just couldn't go back to the Bach. It's taken over a year and a short bout of 2 months of sever chap lips to finally be able to play at a level I would consider close to when I was younger. It's all about what you enjoy really. The journey perhaps isn't so bad if you enjoy the challenge.
    You mght find that you actually are playing more efficient with the smaller piece and will be able to attempt things you couldn't before ..
    Tee it up and enjoy ... looking forward to more of your post...

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Stick with the piece that gives you the best range AND endurance.
    Tone is much easier to improve than range, in my experience.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome back, Dave. Best wishes for continuing good health. Concerning your approach to returning to playing, why not simply base your choices upon what works best and provides the most satisfaction for you now? You can always switch things up later if you feel so moved. Our approaches to our instruments are not cast in concrete, we are surprisingly adaptable!

Jim

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Double what Jim says. Trying new hardware is fun. And, sometimes necessary to get that last little bit of
    performance out of your gear.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Most players (including me) will have great range with great tone and flexibility but little endurance when restarting, .

Then, with regular practice reality sets in and the range drops, the flexibility lessens and the work starts all over again.

I would suggest that you begin on your favorite mouthpiece and stick with it till the feel comes back.

10. Flugel52

Flugel52 Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2011
    Central Florida
    Great that you're back and playing again, Dave. I have also had a cancer-induced vacation from playing, so I can appreciate some of what you're dealing with. I didn't play for five years due to a couple of rather extensive abdominal surgeries, but I've been playing for three years again, and enjoying it more than ever. When I came back, I played only flugel for about 3 weeks, the moved over to my trumpet. Regarding the mouthpiece, I just went with what I had used for years before my surgeries. It was a Callet Vari Cup 630. I found that the familiar feel made it a bit easier to practice and build up my strength. At first, I amazed myself by being able to play with as much range and as good a sound as ever...for about 10 minutes. Gradually, I was able to build up to he point I could play the second chair in our church orchestra again. I have since gone through a couple of mouthpiece safaris, and currently play a Reeves 42C 692S. Be prepared for playing well one day, and almost not a t all the next for a while. The bad days become less frequent with time. Good luck, and welcome back!!

Steve