Before I 'need' to get a second, nicer horn...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Mar 6, 2008.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    OK, as a musician and a computer geek, I admit I am a total gear-head. But as a comeback player, I have been (and need to continue) working on basics. Knowing that my current horn (not counting my Conn peashooter) is a Chinese knock-off, of course I have my eyes on much nicer horns.

But I realize that at this point, I will sound like a comebacker, whether I'm on my current horn or a $3000 NYTC.

So I'd like a checklist, or a list of milestones, to hit before it even matters what horn I am playing. Specific things to work toward would be nice. I know that if anything abounds here at TM, it is opinions. So I am interested in yours. :)

I'm posting from Hokitika, NZ, in case the time stamp makes no sense. It's about 8:05 PM here.

administrator likes this.
  2. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Misty:

My .02: When you can get the horn painlessly, do it. The milestones really don't matter. I found that my level of desire to practice increased when I got a decent horn. It makes you want to get out there and do it. But if you want a benchmark, so be it: Be able to play a high C comfortably and softly. By then you should be able to play 90% of written music that is out there range-wise.

Best to you.

3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    When you get the money. :D

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Buy the best you can and have fun. Then you can't blame the horn!

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I second Sterling.

6. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Yeah, just make sure you always play withsome else so when a mistake does happen, you just look at them and scowl haha

7. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I think one of the best ways to tell is if you feel a real difference in the response between a "good" horn and your current one. If you can go try a better horn, try it and if you feel that you probably won't be able to go back to your regular horn without crying, get it :D

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Good advice. When you can tell the difference between playing yours and a pro horn in the store, it's time to go shopping. Take yours along for comparison purposes, and take your mouthpiece, too.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I thought you were supposed to scowl at your horn first and look perplexed. That way, you don't offend any close bandmate that has a potential weapon in his/her hands! You would amuse everyone else, especially the director, who has seen it all before.;-)

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I think Misty's question is a reasonable one, and that she is looking for MUSICAL milestones. Consider that your suggestions may be difficult to follow in New Zealand. Access to opportunities for playing other horns in comparison may be few.
    So bilboinsa's suggestion offers an answer to her question. I 'd would like to hear some others. Pretend she will have no chance at a new horn until some musical parameters are met.
    We have:
    1. High C comfortably and softly

How about the ability to play w/o struggling: major, minor, etc scales in all keys - 2 octaves?
    Or something about articulation - double or triple tonguing?

C'mon you'all.