Before I 'need' to get a second, nicer horn...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    If a milestone is important to you then the ones above are reasonable.
    I however feel a really good horn will give you the desire to practice more and also will not limit you.

Many times I hear of young students having difficulties with range or flexibility which end up being a result of an inferior quality horn imposing limitations on their abilities due to design/manufacturing flaws.

Of course I'm not referrring to the Conn you mentioned and I have no Idea what your other horn is like so I cannot say this is what is going on in your case.

Bottom line, if you really want a better horn and can afford it go for it! Life is too short to play a crappy horn!

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It depends on the horn she's playing now. A soft high C and easy two octave scales may be very difficult to do on a piece of junk. Yoy may never reach those milestones until you buy a better horn. If there's limited access to music stores that carry a selection of horns to try, maybe a second opinion of her current horn and skill level by an accomplished trumpet player/teacher would be a good way to know "when".

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I'm a high schooler still (senior, and into college, but a high schooler) and I wasn't able to play a double E consistently until last year. However, I do feel that the security I have had with my better horn (Bach Strad vs. TR200) has helped me a great deal in the orchestras and bands i have played in.
    My 3rd and 4th cents

4. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    ...of course only do it if you have money to spend on it.

If you reach a point that you are dedicated in playing the trumpet and do not think you will want to stop, then you should buy a 'pro' level horn.

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just fake a coughing fit.:lol:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best time to "shop" is when you are not ready for a change. That way an impulse purchase is less likely.

I let a 10 year old student of mine play a lesson with my Monette last week. She has been taking lessons from me for a year and gets around the trumpet OK. She has a fine student Yamaha that is open, in tune and responsive.

I wanted to see if she could play it at all and what the differences were. In short, INCREDIBLE. She did not have octaves more of range, but she could play considerably softer, louder and had a denser, clearer tone. Her air lasted longer too. She was able to double tongue 16ths at quarter=152. On her Yamaha the best we achieved on that day was quarter=132.
    This is not what I expected. I thought that "beginners" generally have a harder time with pro horns. I will take my Bach C trumpet next week and see what happens with another student.
    Any of you giving lessons may want to try something similar and report here.

So Misty, the moral of the story is, a great horn can improve your playing by just being more out of the way.

If PaulTandberg is reading, he just bought his young son a Xeno. How is that working?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  7. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    AAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Another high schooler I must track down and kill due to the little green monster in me...

:)

8. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Sorry, I meant the E the octave above the staff (I don't know what the names for anything other than Double C are for certain :dontknow:)

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Misty,
    Go try some pro level horns. If you can do things on them that you couldn't before, it's time for a change. I always reccomend trying all the horns you can just for fun, anyway - it just gives you more knowledge and experiance too see how different brands play for you, and it's fun! rowuk is right, though, as soon as you aren't interested in a change, you try something new that changes everything for you. Keep practicing, keep trying new horns, and when you find the one you can't resist, take it home! Also remember that needs can change over time even for an advanced player - I'm on my 5th pro horn now, and since my skills are still growing and changing, it may or may not be my last!