beginner book of etudes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by equivariant, Nov 17, 2009.

1. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    I recently purchased Snedecors "Lyrical Etudes for Trumpet" as I heard someone else playing some of those pieces and I really liked them. However I think that I am not quite good enough (yet :-)) for that book. Has anyone got any suggestions for books of etudes at a slightly easier level than Snedecor? I have an Arban which I use for technical exercises but I would like to find some nice lyrical pieces that I can play

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Arban (the full edition has quite a few etudes too)
    Concone Vocalises for low voice treble clef
    St. Jacome
    Kopprasch 60 selected Studies

3. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    There is also a series by Sigmund Herring. They go from easeir to more difficult. I think they're called Melodius Etudes.
    Bob

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    I believe the Hering Etude Books follow as such: 50 Recreational Etudes, 40 Progressive Etudes, and 32 Etudes.

5. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Bousquet etudes are some good "easy" etudes....I would learn those before doing the Arban etudes, learn the Concone before you move to Snedecor. Voxman selected stuides and Goldman are also good.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Any of the Concone vocalises are great.

7. equivariant

equivariant New Friend

May 25, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. That should be enough material to keep me occupied for the next while.

8. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    Was looking for Lyrical etude suggestions myself, when i ran across this old thread.

I really enjoy the Robert Getchell (edited by Nilo Hovey) books - First and Second Books of Practical Studies for Cornet and Trumpet.
    These are clearly beginner books - so, if you're looking for lyrical AND challenging, these are not what you want. I use them as one of the early books with my students.

I really like these books and still go back to them myself from time to time (I find they make nice additions to my warm-up routine).

The etudes that can be used to practice simple site reading and there are some nice studies that can be used with advanced beginners or early intermediate students to dissect and further discuss musicality.

my $0.02 (USD -- i thought the denomination was important so that you could decide how valuable my thoughts were :cool:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    The Hering books are very good. He writes very melodious.