Beginner Endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by charlieb3, Nov 13, 2008.

1. charlieb3

charlieb3 New Friend

Oct 17, 2008
    FL
    I finally got my horn and (through my old high school band director) found a private instructor. I'm now on my third day of playing. Things seen to be going well, I noticed considerable improvement in my tone ease of transition in notes. I can go from C to G in whole steps pretty decently.

My question is, how much is too much practice in a day for a new player? I tend to be pretty aggressive with everything I do, and I would love to practice for 3-6 hours a night. However, I know that my chops can't handle it, and I know that it is not good for my developing muscles to try. Thanks in advance for the replies.

p.s. begineer = beginner lol

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Re: Begineer Endurance

Rest as much as you play. (Claude Gordon) Play 5 min, rest 5 min Play 10 min fest 10 min etc etc. It's kind of like weight training.

3. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV

Exactly. Always rest as much as you play. If it gets to the point where you're using pressure to hit notes and it doesnt feel healthy, theres really no point in continuing. If it hurts, you're doing something wrong.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC

stop before you get really tired. playing on tired lips leads to bad problems. The advice to rest as much as you play is excellent. When I start beginners, I have them play about 15 minutes a day increasing slowly to 30 minutes a day after a month. The adage "no gain without pain" is the worst thing you can do on a trumpet.

5. charlieb3

charlieb3 New Friend

Oct 17, 2008
    FL

Thats good advice. I'm actually taking a break from playing right now. After this post I will probably finish up with a couple of long tones with the best tone that I can produce to finish on a good note.

Btw..does anyone know how I can change the title of the post? I'm sure the spelling is attracting a bit of attention, but......:shock:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany

Charlieb3,
    if you play softly, you will be able to play for 15 min without a break even as a beginner. More important than how long is WHAT you do with that time. a solid routine is possible from day one. Breathing, long tones and slurs, then tonguing. I start my kids with basic double tonguing on the second or third lesson.

To change the thread name, you just mention it to a moderator. I fixed it for you.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

This is a great point that LOTS of beginners miss.