beginner help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maybnexttime, Feb 14, 2007.

1. maybnexttime

maybnexttime New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    For my history of playing trumpet, I've been playing for about 1 1/2 months and my double tongue is decent(it is majorly stressed out at my church that you learn it and my church is very dedicated to our music) and most people say I have good tone. I practice on average 2-3 hours a day taking breaks in between. My parents started me out with a basic getzen and I enjoy playing it, but the problem is with my range. I can barely hit high B I'm playing on a 7C but my mouthpiece is slightly bigger than other 7C's. Will I ever be able to hit high notes? Being in 1st trumpet at church and 2nd chair in symphonic band this weakness is killing me :/ is there anyway to improve my reach?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Your best bet would be to find a good teacher!

3. maybnexttime

maybnexttime New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    My teachers I currently have are amazing,I'll ask them as soon as I can but I'm pretty sure it's a personal problem or a flaw with my lips.

4. MJ

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Ok, Well ask your teacher about it. Its going to be very hard to diagnose any playing problem you might have over the internet.

5. maybnexttime

maybnexttime New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    Not really about the problem, but I would want some advice on what I can do to improve my reach is more what I'm asking for.

6. MJ

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    maybenexttime. I don't mean to sound like a broken record.... but ask your teacher what to do about it. You said you have a teacher. That is what you are paying him or her to do for you. Diagnose playing problems and tell you how to fix them.

I'll give you a good internet answer. Trying playing expanding chromatic scales. That will improve your range.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick New Friend

Jan 1, 2007
    This may not be too good of advice coming from someone who's only been playing trumpet for about 6-7 months in highschool, but I have a decent idea.

Instead of worrying about your high register, worry about your entire register. Work on playing low notes, as low as you can and keep it in tune and audible, and then work on your higher notes. I know that I've been told many times that your supposed to work on your low and high to improve your range, not just high. After you've worked on low and high, then work on going between the two and going higher and lower. I don't know how long you could stretch this out, but I would do it in two sittings a day: working on low and high and in between, let my lips rest a bit, and then work on expanding.

I usually take a long time to warm up every time I practice to expand my range and improve on anything before I actually play any music. My lips are literally dead by the end of the week and I try to give a day each week of not playing to recuperate, especially if I'm performing something on any instrument.

Speaking of performing, a random tip that I've found useful: practice a lot, almost killing your lips each day, but stop when you can't play as high as the piece goes, and then give them at least 24 hours to rest before performing and not play at all during that time except for a very short warm up.

I don't know how good of advice this is, but it sounds sensible to me.

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You have been playing for 1 1/2 months. It takes years to develop a comfortable high register.
    I know a lot of students who couldn't get up to a B above the staff in that amount of time.
    Don't stress about it, just enjoy playing the music and always try your hardest.

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    There's no quick way.

Focus on fundamentals: Arbans, Clarke, etc

It will come.

All the Best,

Richard

10. maybnexttime

maybnexttime New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    Thanks, thats the kind of answer for, and also thanks for your patience as I can be insistant sometimes.

When I said my teacher I probably chose I poor choice I meant more of a conductor but I guess that my school teacher is pretty much my teacher :p.

Thats pretty much what I do everyday :D

Thanks and I will do, I enjoy playing.

and thanks to all for the help guys.