Beginner Issue (I don't even know what to call it)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Persinji, Aug 30, 2014.

1. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    The first thing that came to mind for me was some kind of air leak, and I don't think anyone has mentioned that yet. I know somewhere you said the horn was checked out by a tech who said it was fine, but this just came to mind.

Hope it gets figured out. Who knows? Maybe you're some kind of post-modern trumpet player who will invent a style we haven't heard yet! ;-)

~Noah

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Persinji

Persinji New Friend

Aug 29, 2014
    Hmm, it turns out that my pistons weren't locked in. So I locked them in.....and the problem remained. I can only see one possible place where there could be a leakage, so I tried covering that with duct tape and it did absolutely nothing. The tech did say to maybe try a chemical bath or at least just a bath.

For better or worse, my trumpet seems to be completely fine, so.......I guess I'm doing something terribly wrong with blowing, in which people don't seem to have heard of this issue. I'll be able to see my band director on Tuesday, where I'll have him try playing on it again and also play for him to see what the issue is here, since this type of problem will be pretty hard to fix without looking at it in person. I do have a picture of my embrouchure and my water key which is the only place I see where there might be a leak (since the cork is barely on the hole)......but it's not letting me upload. Not to mention, I don't really have a camera I can use at the moment, and my webcam inverts images.

3. mellophone

mellophone New Friend

Aug 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Is it an older horn? My cornet has had the water key problem, since mine is rather old. But it hasn't seemed to leak recently. I think the last thing for you to try is to bathe it, and if its not that, then it most likely is your embouchure. Keep the corners tight, and get a buzzing effect, and don't puff out your cheeks! That's all I can say. And don't forget the helpful term "More air, less pressure!"

If the bath helps, then great! (I'm just curious, do you know how to bathe trumpets?) It helped cleaned the gunk out of my cornet, and even helped its sound a bit. At least I believe it did. But I'm less worried of it developing red rot. Bathe it over a weekend when you know its not needed.

Did you check the end of the mouthpiece that you insert into the trumpet?(not the cup part you blow into) Dents and nicks can cause air leaks.

4. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    OK Persinji. Good idea. Check with your director on Tuesday.

Over the weekend, try "buzzing" just the mouthpiece. You should be able to "play" simple tunes like "Mary Had a Little Lamb" by buzzing just the mouthpiece with no horn attached.

5. Persinji

Persinji New Friend

Aug 29, 2014
    I think it's a pretty old horn. There's no way it's new, at least. And no, I don't know how to bathe a trumpet (I was going to look up some videos). I really wish I could upload the pictures I have (though they're inverted), but I guess I'll have to wait a little until my phone gets fixed.

Yeah I've been buzzing tunes on my mouthpiece, as that's the only thing that seems to be properly working for me at the moment.

6. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    Good. If you can buzz simple tunes on the mouthpiece, you are probably somewhere close to doing the lip part right, which is the hardest part.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Have you tried another trumpet? I still think it sounds like a physical problem with this particular horn from the tone response you describe. Even if the valves are in the correct 1,2,3 positions, they can still be out of line with the valve casing. Some horns are particularly sensitive where you have to alien the large nib and small nib with the casing edge.

8. mellophone

mellophone New Friend

Aug 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    To clean it, you need a snake. Ask your director for one. You also need grease for slides and oil for valves.

1. Fill bath tub up with water and a mild dish soap(I used dawn)
    2. Place a wash cloth in the water on the bottom
    3. Remove all slides, valves, and the valve caps on the bottom
    4. Place the trumpet shell in the water
    5. Then do the same to the slides and valve caps. Place these on the washcloth
    6. Set valves somewhere aside. DO NOT GET THESE WET
    7. Let the horn sit in there for 30minutes
    8. When time is up, run the snake through each of the slides, and in the holes in the horn(slide holes, lead pipe, valve cases, ect.)
    9. Rinse out the horn,and slides. Drain tub
    10. Wipe out the valve caps and casings with a cloth or paper towel
    11. Let everything air dry. Towel dry the outside if you wish
    12. Once it's dry, put everything back in.
    13. Oil and grease

Tip: wipe out the holes in the valves too. They tend to get gunked up. Bit do not put them in the water.

9. mellophone

mellophone New Friend

Aug 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I don't own many horns, but I've taken home many different kinds of brass horns to clean! I think bathing them is fun. You don't need to bathe it a whole lot. I don't oil my valves a lot either. If the slides look red, white, blue or pink, I suggest taking the softest kind of steel wool out there and rubbing that lightly against them until the corrosion is gone or a good portion of it. I even have this problem with my flute.

DONT use the kind you use to clean you your grill. I've made that mistake a few years back. It didn't even help the horn any.

10. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    has anyone mentioned the slides? My old Elkhart has a second main slide that enables the trumpet to play in A and with the main slide out too it will play in Ab.... just a thought