Beginner Looking for Practice Ideas and Advice!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garrettmarvel, Jan 23, 2009.

1. ADDER

ADDER Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    London UK
    I'd like to add my tuppance worth to this, as a comback player at age 48 I think and know that it's possible to get to a standard where you can play your fav tunes and maybe record yourself using BIB etc and generally have fun doing it and enjoy it. I do however believe that to become a serious 'working' horn player or become a player that wants more than a hobbiest, a tutor is essential.

Somedays I pick up the horn and everything sounds and feels great, however there are days that I pick it up and I can't even get my embechoure right to get a decent sound.. Something I think a good tutor would be able to spot pretty quickly, but as a diy player you tend to look for a million reasons why this happens.

I'd also like to add that the info I have been given from this site has helped me a great deal.
    Long tones, slurs, intervals and a scale a week. This is my daily bible and all thanks to the info I got from this forum.

Cheers
    Adder

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi garrettmarvel,
    Markie here, Great to hear you're starting up the trumpet.
    Just like a sport, you have to work on building up your muscles. Here's an easy way to do that. Do bugle slurs. Start on open C and slur all the notes you can in open.
    Then do the same thing with 123,
    then 13,
    then23,
    then 12,
    then 1
    then 2
    Go slow and go as high and low as you can using all the valve combinations I just gave you and try your best to maintain a good clean sound. It should have a bugle sort of sound to it. It'll be boring and your muscles will ache.
    However, if you do this about 3 or 4 minutes a day it will help every aspect of your playing. You'll have the muscles!!!
    As for playing, I recommend Music Minus One "Arban"
    Once you get that under your hat, check out Hal Leonard's Disney series. It has some of the best songs from Disney movies and the background is really great.
    Good luck

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi Garrett,
    Seems like you opened a can of worms with your question.
    As you know, reading music isn't required and a music teacher isn't required either! You've already proven that, right? Anybody that demands otherwise, is being insensitive. As for advice, I'd work on the bugle calls to build muscles. It will suck, but it'll make your lips strong.
    Your job is to be the best version of you, you can be. If you discover that your quest can be achieved quicker with a teacher then get one. If you feel that boning up on reading will help you get to where you want to be then do it.
    Possibly look at it this way. My experience is that you will never get quite where you want to be on your trumpet.
    Now, that's not a slam, that's just the nature of the beast. Playing trumpet is like mastering any instrument. Its a journey that has it's good moments and bad. Have fun and experiment. You can spend your life trying to master the trumpet and it will not be a life wasted. Remember, it's called playing the trumpet, not working the trumpet, right? HAVE FUN!!
    Oh, by the way. The highest selling recording artist of possibly all time can't read music but damned can she sing.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009