Beginner music help.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lorenza, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Lorenza

Lorenza New Friend

Feb 3, 2013
    Hi Guys
    Was wondering if you can advise. I played the trumpet for a couple of years when I was a young teen. Due to the "I can't be bothered" teen phase, I stopped playing. Since my 20s every time I would hear a trumpet in music I would think "I could be playing that". Anyway at 42 I decided to learn again, so I have bought a trumpet. I'm not interested in playing professionally, just for fun. So I decided to learn myself, I ordered some books and this is my problem. I was surprised to see the exactly same tunes that I started to learn 30 years ago. I don't want to learn "when the saints go marching in" or "twinkle twinkle little star", or a number of other religious old fashioned songs. Does any of you know of any beginners songs that are more modern, or jazz,blue, pop based? Even classical would be fine, just not old fashioned religious tunes that just are not for me. If you have any ideas I would be grateful.

Lorenza
    :-)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    True, those old tunes are well known and seem kind of dull, but they teach sound (along with such things as attack, pitch and rhythm). If you can play "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" perfectly, I mean really, really well as in "nobody can play this better," start in on the Arban's Method. Near the end, you'll find a bunch of old tunes.

Great players and innovators grew up on the old stuff, the ABC's of music.

Have fun, and welcome to TM!

3. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with When the Saints. There's quite a few fun dixieland arrangements for it, and it's a featured piece on a Canadian Brass album. But I'll second VB's recommendation of Arban's. In addition to a book constantly referred to no matter where you go as far as trumpet instruction is concerned, it has several solos and duets to play with. Develop your ear on those, and you'll pick up plenty of other things just from listening to them enough (a personal favorite is Pennsylvania 6-5000).

As for Twinkle Twinkle, well, my daughter loves it when I play that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Ivan (Trumpetsplus) has a couple of books, "Songs for Playing" and "Melodies for Playing" that will keep you going, If you want some more modern songs there are lots of simple piano books of popular songs.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My least favorite of Glenn Miller's is Pennsylvania 6-5000, and I'm originally from PA, however there was a time I sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to my daughter and she was asleep in my arms before I finished.

As The OP is looking for contemporary music, he's got two challenges to cross, one is copywrite and the second is the absence of trumpet solos of these as won't be profitable to any publisher.

I'll go for a big plus in concurring with you on the ear training bit, that nearly brought me to a halt when I temporarily lost all my hearing.

Still, wow what the OP could do in picking up piano, guitar, and voice books of many contemporary songs, if s/he can sight transpose for their Bb trumpet. That's what I did on my comebacks.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The theme from Sesame Street is anyone's favorite... Even Kingtrumpet can recognize that one... and if you yet to know who Kingtrumpet is... Oh you will know soon... very soon... Welcome to TM.

7. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Playing goofy, outdated music is part of paying your dues. I am EARNING the right to play cool stuff.

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    The answer to this is pretty simple.

-make a list of 10 tunes you'd like to play
    -get recordings of them
    -listen to the recordings
    -start learning to play them by ear from the recordings
    -when you've learned one, write it down

bigtiny

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Lorenza,

Welcome to TM! Any chance of you getting a teacher and gearing up with them to follow the route you've outlined to us?

10. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011