Beginner music help.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lorenza, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ed, I too thoroughly dislike Pennsylvania 6-5000, and cringe whenever it gets called to the music stand - thankfully our band director isn't a big fan of it either - there are plenty of great tunes available without having to shout out your address - that's surely best left to a small piece of paper passed surreptitiously ...

2. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    Address? It's a NYC phone number. Ostensibly, the first phone number ever, but specifically the phone number to the Hotel Pennsylvania Cafe Rouge Ballroom, where many popular big bands played (see the link for more pedantic details). The song is a tribute thereof.

You guys keep your Sousa and I'll keep my Glenn Miller.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Let me rephrase that then ....

Ed, I too thoroughly dislike Pennsylvania 6-5000, and cringe whenever it gets called to the music stand - thankfully our band director isn't a big fan of it either - there are plenty of great tunes available without having to shout out your phone number - that's surely best left to a small piece of paper passed surreptitiously ... [​IMG]

4. BinaryHulledIon

BinaryHulledIon Piano User

Nov 23, 2012
    Spartanburg, SC
    You don't like being told what a song is about. Got it.

5. Lorenza

Lorenza New Friend

Feb 3, 2013
    Thanks guys for your advise and will check the books & links. I'm in England so some of the practice tunes just don't suit me. Though I will try & work with what I've got and also look at making up my own practice ones. Thanks again :-)

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Think he was just glad that the joke worked in both contexts

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Rule Britania is fun to play. It's in one of the books I have (Arban?).

8. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    Get yourself a fake book or one of the Real Books. Plenty of fun and cool tunes.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yeah, we all know what the telephone number actually was, but that wasn't what the song inferred. Let's just say for the times it was marginal on the riscay edge, not as blatant as Butterfield 8. Too, it can't be staged as effective without the female vocalist and the whoop in tune of the male gawkers. Still, I liked Little Brown Jug a whole lot more as would be good for a beginner. Still, IMO the best of Glenn Miller's performances was In A Sentimental Mood.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    From the time of Henry Purcell until Edward Elgar England didn't have any decent composers, although there was a roaring comeback in the 20th Century. English fok songs, on the other hand, are among the best in the world.