Beginner observations after 6 weeks-facts or fallacies??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dpa10, Oct 15, 2009.

1. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Excellent advice.
    I am enjoying the process.
    Patience is not one of my strongest virtues.
    Thanks again for your insights.
    Great thing about the trumpet.....it's so portable.
    I can practice while running the dogs down the field.
    When I get better, I'll choose a less remote location! :-o
    Best regards,

Deane

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    When children start learning to play an instrument, they have no preconceptions of how great they should eventually sound, they have no concept of the number of years of work ahead of them to reach a point where others will be impressed with how great they play. They're just having fun being in lessons and band classes and they have no problem with the slow moving books which have "boring" old folk songs and such. And then 6 years later, when they're seniors in high school preparing to go be performance majors in college, they gradually increased the challenges of the music until they can play quite complex stuff quite easily.

Adult students always seem to have a problem with it, being too impatient, wanting to play music they already know.

It is important as an adult, just as with a child, that one develop slowly over time, not forcing range issues, not trying to run before learning properly how to walk.

Learning to read music works best if you have no clue how the music is supposed to sound beforehand -- you need to look at the lines and dots on the page and turn it into sound, counting the correct number of beats, figuring out the name of the pitch and applying the correct valves and embouchure, etc. to get it to come out.

I find adult students to be the hardest to teach because they are impatient and want to be playing music they love, most of which is way to complicated for beginners. Don't be trying Haydn's trumpet concerto -- professionals quake at the thought of playing that beast.

Be patient, follow the method books -- they're call that for a reason. They're methodical, they present the material in an orderly fashion, not moving too fast.

3. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks for the insight, David.
    (by the way, we are neighbors)

I will take your advice. Of course I'm not trying to play Haydn all the way through, just the the first few bars slowly, as it is in my range right now and that part is essentially scales between 4th space E and low C.

I got a little frustrated with the method book when I started playing "Old McDonald." (There was a different name for it in the book)
    I was able to make it sound like old Mcdonald.

I'm using Bruce Pearson's "Standard of Excellence," book one.
    Initially, the reading, playing, timing etc. caused breakdowns in my playing. Unfortunately, I never learned to sight read with the guitar. This should help me greatly with proper timing in both guitar and trumpet.

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I am still confused as to whether you have teacher,or are doing it on your own? If no teacher, get one. They are invaluable and will prevent you from getting bad habits. What sound correct and good to you often isn't. Above all enjoy.:D

5. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Yes, I have a teacher.