Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snazzypadgett, Oct 16, 2009.

1. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    when playing a C, you don't press down any valves, so using the tuning slides wont do anything. The slide attached to the 3rd valve will only do something to the notes that use the 3rd valve (low D and C# for example). the slide on the 1st valve (if you have one) does only get used very rarely on my trumpet. I usually only use the one on the 3rd slide, and mosly on the notes below the staff.

or are we talking about the slide that goes before the valves, just after the mouthpiece? In that case you'll just have to work on you embouchure. once your lips are stronger, you can get out the right notes the way you're supposed to. In general, you shouldn't touch the slide after using it. One position of the slide is all you need during pretty much any piece. The distance you have to pull it out may change from day to day, or by temperature differences. make sure that you're warmed up before tuning the thing.

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    More likely it's your fault -- I've never met a trumpet, even the cheap crap from the Orient, which is flat even with the tuning slide all the way in.

How long have you been playing?

3. snazzypadgett

snazzypadgett New Friend

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes, I'm sure it's my fault too. I'm 7 days into trumpet playing :)

I know it's my fault, but I was just wondering if I should sort of push to be sharper than I am normally when I play a comfortable buzz. Because someone said that I should tune to what my 'normal, unaltered buzz' is.

I think I'll just leave it at about 1/2" out and learn to play with it at that distance for the first month, haha.

4. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    Increase your air speed and listen to the tone "sharpen" up.
    When i get lazy the notes tend to get flat.
    Forget about buzzing and just blow.
    The buzzing takes care of itself.

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    You've been playing for only 7 days and you're worried about intonation? You're well on your way to developing "paralysis by analysis!" Play the trumpet every day for 3 months, practicing at least 30 solid minutes each day and then start checking your intonation.

Playing any instrument in tune (other than piano or electronic keyboard) is not something that people can do until they develop the proper technique for producing the sound on the instrument, which doesn't happen in just 7 days.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    dhbaily sent you some important pearls of wisdom about "paralysis from analysis".
    Get a good teacher(that you see once a week or every other week, or what ever your pocket book can afford) and do what dhbaily is saying. Some of the questions you have can not be fully appriciated until you get some time under your belt.

7. snazzypadgett

snazzypadgett New Friend

Oct 13, 2009
    Well actually, I think I understand the tuning slide now. I just played a really simple, un-altered open C and it was quite sharp. So I pulled the slide out and adjusted it until my easy open C was right on with the piano. I think I just didn't understand that there is an ideal 'open' embouchure for that C.

Yeah I know I just started, I'm getting a teacher in 3 months at my college, but for now I'm just playing an hour a day. I am seeing improvement, I just come here to ask the questions that I can't ask a private teacher (since I don't have one) :)

Thanks everyone!

P.S. Don't worry about paralysis by analysis--as much as I believe in that principle, I'm getting a good solid practice every day :)

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Make sure that you rest as much as you play. If you play an hour, then 10 -15 minutes playing followed by 10 - 15 minutes of resting and then repeat. You should not be playing or trying to play uninterrupted for an hour yet. Break up your practice into short segments and REST in between.

Have fun!

veery

9. snazzypadgett

snazzypadgett New Friend

Oct 13, 2009
    There's no way I could play even close to continuously for an hour right now. I run out of breath very quickly, hahaha. I don't make a conscious effort to rest, but I'm sure I'm resting for one minute about 20 times. However, I don't have a solid 15 minute rest period. I don't think I could play 15 minutes continuously anyway at this point. Whenever I frack a note, I take about 10 seconds to get my breath back in order and try again.

10. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    I think you will find this video helpful.
    YouTube - Trumpet Lesson #1 - Air and Embouchure