Beginner Questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by snazzypadgett, Oct 16, 2009.

1. snazzypadgett

snazzypadgett New Friend

Oct 13, 2009
    dpa10, that video helped me greatly thoughout this week. My embouchure was a little more 'outward' than the Military Man's embouchure in the video, and correcting it (more inward lips) is proving effective. Not to mention all of the breathing concepts are helping me play much longer without wasting a ton of air!

2. dpa10

dpa10 New Friend

Sep 15, 2009
    excellent.
    I found the lessons helpful also.
    There are a whole series of them on Youtube.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Please see below for the answers:

I ask a lot of questions. Don't be afraid to ask or analyze your playing. That's how you get better.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  4. DeathyMan

DeathyMan New Friend

Dec 14, 2009
    I suppose I just want general help about progress. I've been playing since August of this year (my first brass instrument). What should be the normal playing range and sight reading ability?

5. Khora

Khora Piano User

Sep 17, 2006
    New York
    Deathyman:

What kind of musical training did you have before? Did you already know how to read music? How much time are you playing each day? Too many variables to be able to answer such a vague question - tell us more about yourself.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Deathyman - you really need to start your own thread for this question. It is not likely any of the regulars will see it here on the third page stuck at the end of a thread which everyone has already read. Also, you could go to the 'Introductions and Greetings' section and post some background about yourself. We all like to know the new members better. And, Welcome to TrumpetMaster. I think you will find a lot of useful information here but we need more to work with to give you some specific help.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    And you need to remember that there is no "normal." There is no timetable to which everybody should expect to adhere. Your range will expand as you practice, and only your body will do it at your schedule. Even another person of the same age, relative body build and facial build and musical background (or lack thereof) won't expand their range at the same time. As for music reading skills, it's like a foreign language -- and everybody has their own language-learning abilities. For some it's easy, for others it's harder.

I tell my beginning students (young and old alike) that learning to play an instrument is the same as learning to read and speak a foreign language while using a mechanical voice box. All three of which capabilities takes time to become fluent at doing.